Grey/browny Tile Adhesive showing within nice white grout !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rushed a bathroom project and didn't properly clean all the excess adhesive off properly during a tiling excerise. I thought the grout would cover this up well enough. instead, on certain areas, the adhesive shows through badly. Is the answer as tedious as scraping out and starting again? if so - Is there a special tool to use.

Sponsored Links
That's the thing, always remove excessive adhesive at the time because it's just so much more easier in the long run ;). I've done it many a time with wood filler; been so keen to carry on whilst thinking "I can just scrape it off later", but unfortunately, I always ending up wishing I'd done this sooner. Infact, there is some excessive PVA on my bath beading and it's turned black. However, removing PVA from a surface such as enamel, porcelain or ceramic (the glossy side) is quite easy because of the way it adheres to the surface.

To be honest, I don't think you will have to start again by removing all tiles etc. Perhaps just rake out the top layer of grout and refill. But, before doing this, try and remove some of the excess adhesive first.

There is a tool to use, but I'm not a tiler :D, so I can only presume the name of the tool is a 'grout rake'. It looks like this:

B0001K9PEQ.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1121259608_.jpg

However, the one I'm thinking looks like that, but has teeth instead of just a flat blade.

Please could someone with tiling experience check over my advice to ensure that it's correct.

Thank you.

Just a thought, that tool looks like the blade has an abrasive edge that might score\scratch the tiles as well as remove any grout. At worst you could take a piece of wood and pass a screw partially through it. This would give you control over how deep you go and the width of the cut by choosing different screws to suit.

A bit Heath Robinson, but it should work. ;)

Just a thought, that tool looks like the blade has an abrasive edge that might score\scratch the tiles as well as remove any grout. At worst you could take a piece of wood and pass a screw partially through it. This would give you control over how deep you go and the width of the cut by choosing different screws to suit.

Good idea :), but if I was going to do this, I would really use the special tool and put a piece of wood at the side and let the side of the tool rest against it whilst scraping the grout. This would stop the tool from deviating and scratching the tiles.

Winker_Watson: I think you clicked on 'quote' by mistake.

Sponsored Links
Angle grinder anyone

Eh .........No ...........lol...lol............he wants his tiles uncut an unbutchered , lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back