Grinding noise in pipes connected to a Valliant boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house with a Valliant boiler - over the past few weeks we've had plumbers out right left and centre, and they can't seem to reach a consensus on what is wrong with it. If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

Basically, when we returned after Christmas, the pipes which run through my room started making a noise, which sounded like a grinding noise - as if the water in the pipes was being forced up the pipes more than it needed to be. I am on the first floor of the house, the boiler (which the pipes lead to) is in the room above me. The hot water tank (I believe) is in the loft above that.

The noise only occurs between about midnight and 6 a.m. and prevents me sleeping because it is so loud. Obviously, this means the plumber can't listen to it!

The pressure on the boiler was very low (approx 0.5) when the noises first started. The first plumber put the pressure to 1.8 which stopped the noises. Over the weekend it fell to 1.2 and the noises started again. The second plumber has turned the pressure down to just over 1 and I have yet to find out if the noises are going to come back tonight.

We tried switching the hot water off overnight and the noises don't happen then. They also don't happen when the heating is on, or it appears, if the heating has been on during the day. When the heating is on, the pressure rises slightly (about 0.4).

The plumbers have checked the pressure relief valve and seem to think that isn't the problem. The second plumber suggested that the diverter valve could have gone and that might be causing the problem but this was replaced about 18 months ago.

Has anyone else come across something like this?

Sponsored Links
HI, this is tricky without seeing the layout. I bet the noise is back tonight. Hell of a tall house you've got. The noise is almost certainly air, so the pressure loss has to be investigated. If the prv has been checked & there's no obvious leak then I suppose all eyes turn to the pressure vessel. What model Vaillant is it? Just see if there's air pressure/water on the valve at vessel.

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back