Grout is drying the instant it is applied

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've laid polished limestone tiles in my kitchen and am using Proflex Ultra grout. However, as soon as I apply the grout, the excess starts to 'crumble' immediatelyon contact with the other tlies. This seems to be the water being drawn out of it but I even wiped the edges with a damp cloth prior to grouting but it's still drying too fast. Can I do anything about it as this bag of grout is not going to last long!

Sponsored Links
Have you sealed the limestone before grouting. Polishing refers to the smoothness of the stone not the fact that it has had a sealer/polish applied.

Jason

No I hadn't - and the grout does seem to have stained the edge of the other tiles too. Unfortunately they're v. light cream. Does this mean I have to dig them up (about 12 @40cm2 each)? When I put travertine tiles in the bathroom there wasn't a problem with grouting first.
Are grout stain removers any good? I feel sick !!

I doubt a stain remover will do much good, just dilute the stain and spread it around particularly if you used a coloured grout. UP they come.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Nightmare :(

After laying a few natural floors I will always preseal now, as I gambled and didn't pre-seal my travertine and it was a nightmare to remove the grout residue.

As I had quite a lot trouble removing the grout I'd have thought that a stain would be even harder to remove as it has penetrated the stone :(

Thanks to all you guys for your replies. As it turned out, my wife read my entries, went out & bought some grout stain remover and spent a couple of hours rubbing it in and guess what......
it worked :D Still a slight stain but lost when rest grouted and sealant applied. Sealed the floor immediately before something else happened...and then grouted as normal. Pleased to say the result was worth it!
Sorry about the heartache but have to hand it to my wife who said she couldn't bear to look at my miserable face... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back