Grundfoss Selectric UPS 15-50 pump models

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My system has a Grundfoss Selectric UPS 15-50 (988123) GB, PC 9549, Class H, TF110 IP42 pump fitted, is the Grundfoss Selectric UPS 15-50x18, Model C No: U517, MK.II, Class F a direct replacement for mine or for a different purpose? I just bought it in tatty box for £5 at car boot today, it's new so bought as a standby just in case. I am addicted to keeping spares for everything maybe because hard to find them out in the sticks.
Am I ok to connect a flex from it to mains just to make sure motor runs although I have no reason to think it won't as seller had a lot of new service items such as this and the way he spoke seemed like he was retiring and clearing out unwanted parts.

Sponsored Links
jeez fella its a pump

no need to set the woods on fire ;)

Am I ok to connect a flex from it to mains just to make sure motor runs

yes but dont run it for more that 10 secs as soon as you know it moves turn it off

or you will shaft the bearings ;)

Check whats inside the box :rolleyes:

Normally the 18 is 180mm against the normal pump which is 130mm ;)

Thanks for warning kevplumb, I just ran it for couple ol 3 sec bursts and spun fine just once heard slight noise as if impeller touched pump body but expect that is due to no water.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply doitall, it looks identical and I take it the 180mm & 130mm are between input and output flange faces, I measured both pumps and both are 130mm, the flange threads are same diameter also, I think it will do the job fine but always nice to be reasured by someone who knows.

That pump must be years old!

I would guess perhaps 20-30 years!

But they were well made.

If your old one has run for so long then its a very clean system and will probably run a lot longer too !

You might have been better waiting for an energy efficient one and saved running costs.

At the show Mr Wilo was saying pumps have got to be energy efficient next year!

Tony

I understand the system was fitted in 1995 as Ideal stated that was date on boiler when I bought the property Oct 2004, other than having boiler checked (just clean out soot) twice it has run fine, the valve that switches flow from heating to water acted up once 2 years ago but I took control box off operated it with a spanner a few times put control box back on and OK since, I put it down to limescale as got a lot of it round here. First cental heated bungalow I bought in 1973 had British Gas Guaranteed Warmth system, it was fantastic but pump failed on Christmas Day only 13 months old, maybe that is why I don't trust these things like some do.

If the pump is external to the boiler then there is no reason to expect it was changed when the boiler was replaced !

Tony

Hi Agile, it was a full new installation in arround 1995, prior to that it had electric storeage radiators and an immersion heater for water. It works fine but radiator sizes poorly calculated and all pipes hidden behind skirting boards si I dread a leak.

Hi kevplumb, I have thought of this several times but would hate it to cause a leak as all pipes behind skirting boards (prefer them on skirting board for easy access). I thought it would be best to drain system, refill with a cleanser to flush out sludge and limescale, run for a few days, drain then flush through some clean water then add a protector to water at end. I suffer from disability so as usual things often keep getting put off and thinking I may have to get a heating engineer to do it when I get a fault. I have another valve to replace one that stuck 2 years ago and would change immersion heater for a short one all at same time while it was being drained, a major service, I can only do it in afternoons due to illness do you do an afternoon service?

Dont use acid based cleansers then. Sentinel X400 or X800 are non acid types.

If you are registered disabled then Warmfront have a lot of schemes to assist with heating repairs and replacements.

Although I dont agree with the concept, they are not means tested!

Tony

Hi Agile, To qualify for Warmfront it gives a list of benefits you must be on, does not include incapacity benefit and as I own my property and have savings i can not get any help, I was told I should apply for Disbility Living Allowance when I was interviewed for my Blue Card for parking but I do not believe there should be so many different categories, should be a fixed benefit for each person that has paid into the system, if you have saved you should still get the same and as for free housing, council tax and people with utilities pre payment meters, I won't go into that area as it gets me worked up but thanks for mentioning Warmfront even though I do not qualify.

Call them and ask! Dont just read about it !

An installer here told us about fitting a FREE boiler under their scheme in a £2M house with a big Merc or similar outside.

All being fitted free because he was registered disabled and its not means tested !

A total waste of public money in my view while more deserving people dont qualify.

I dont know what you are classed as or what classification is required. I only read about it.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back