GU10 goes off after 20 secs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my hallway I have 3 GU10's in the ceiling. They all come on when I flick the switch, but after about 20 seconds or so, a particular one of them goes out (it's always the same one).

In the ceiling, each light has its own little black junction box and a heavy grey cylindrical object (some kind of thermostat possibly?).

I'd be grateful if anybody could explain to me what is happening here and any possible solutions?

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
hmmm...2 possible solutions spring to my mind...
Have you tried to replace the faulty bulb?? Give it a try, the pins on it could be knackered.
or...
Remove the downlighter from the ceiling and check for any loose connections in the circuit.

Thanks for the response dynomo.

Yeah, have tried new bulbs and aslo just swapping bulbs around the three lights - and it's still the same location that goes off, the others work fine

Checked for loose connections as well, but they all seemed pretty sound.

Could it be something to do with the grey cylinder? (it's about the size of a tin of beans)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi, it sounds like they are not the 230V GU10's 'bayonet' but the 12V 'pronged' GU5.3

800px-MR-Variations.light.bulb.jpg

The middle one

The 'can' is probably a 230 to 12V transformer, chances are you need a new one.

Sounds to me that they are not GU10's, but that they are MR16's

GU10's are 230V and the pins on the lamps look a bit like mushrooms

MR16's are 12V and the pins on the lamps look like pins

I would guess that the black cylindrical thing is the transformer, which is either being overloaded by an incorrect wattage lamp or that it is damaged internally and giving thermal overload symptoms..

Are they 240 Volt GU10's, or are they 12 Volt halogens?

If they are actually 12 Volt, my guess would be the grey lump is a transformer, which has failed.

Thanks all - I think you're right - it's definitely heavy enough to be a transformer and my bulbs are the ones with 'pins' rather than 'mushrooms'.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back