GU10 mini review!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GU10 technology

OK, traditional GU10 lamps have several drawbacks. They give off tremendous amounts of heat, which makes them unsuitable for mounting where insulation is present. The light they produce is very narrow. Many lamps dont give off light at more than 60 degrees. Hence the light is very focused and you need a lot of lights to light a small area, or there are a lot of shadows. Stand under these lights and you can feel the heat and the glare too, it is uncomfortable to work under.

Alternative one: LEDs

So lighting manufacturers have been working on alternative methods of compact downlighting. The easiest to manufacture, and the first to come about was the LED GU10. This is a standard size GU10 lamp, with a cluster of LEDs in it. A typical cluster is less than 2 watts, one twenty-fifth the energy used by a 50 watt GU10. LEDs dont get hot, they are cool to touch when in use. They will also fit any standard GU10 fitting. However, LEDs have numerous drawbacks.

1. Light rendition: The light produced by LEDs is a pure colour and is no good for any practical use. I purchased a "white" LED lamp, however, I was less than impessed by its rendition of white. It looks very blue. LED lamps by their nature only produce a VERY limited spectrum of light. Imagine shining a red light on a blue surface. Can you see the blue? No, it appears black due to there being no blue light to reflect off it. Now imagine shining a blue light around your room. Most of the surfaces wont appear the correct colour. This is what happens with white LEDs. Even putting my hand in front of the lamp, it was dimly lit. I think maybe an RGB light might produce a better light for general use, since it gives out red, green and blue, instead of just blue.

2. Beam width: The beam width is very narrow, more so than with halogen GU10s. LEDs are very directional, and I cant help thinking "why not mount them on a curved surface?"

3. Dimming: Not that you'd want to, but its worth a mention, LED lamps cannot be dimmed (or at least its not recommended).

4. Brightness: Finally, LEDs are still not bright enough for general use.

My overall opinion of LED lamps: Still a developing technology, with a long way to go before they are suitable for general lighting use.

Alternative two: CFLs

A more recent development, compact fluorescent GU10 lamps are, in my opinion, the way forward in the near future. Unfortunately, it is impossible to cram a fluorescent tube AND its ballast/electronics into a standard GU10 lamp. CFL versions, therefore are 2cm longer. They will fit most standard fittings, but will stick out of the fitting by 2cm. Two standard wattages are available, 9 watt and 11 watt. The 9 watt version was a more than adequate replacement for a 50 watt halogen.
dsc00282aj1.jpg

Thankfully, special fittings are available for these CFL lights. TLC direct is one supplier (click)
And they will fit downlighters with a flylead and retaining ring, as the depth is variable with these.

The benefits of CFLs are numerous:

Better colour rendition: they give off a balanced white light, similar to daylight, which is ideal for working environments. I changed one light in my bathroom to a CFL, and left the other two as standard halogens. I noted that after looking at the CFL end of the room for 5 mins, then looking back at the halogen end, the halogen light looked very orangey, almost dirty. The CFL light is much cleaner. In time, more shades of CFL will become available, as shades of fluorescent tubes are.

Better beam width: the light is spread over a bigger distance. I have fitted these in my bathroom, and found that I only needed 2 of these lights, whereas before i needed 3 standard halogens due to their narrow beam.

Unfortunately, CFL lamps cannot be dimmed, but the technology is emerging for switch-dimmable CFLs, which are dimmed by a succession of switch on-off signals. Its only a matter of time before this technology finds its way into GU10s.

A couple of pictures for comparison:
dsc00296sb5.jpg

dsc00295mp0.jpg

L-R: Megaman 9 watt CFL, Morrisons 50 watt halogen, Unbranded 1.8w LED lamp.

Final thoughts: Given EU proposals for abolishing standard filament lamps, including halogens, it makes sense to be thinking about other ways of lighting. If you really want downlighters, please consider CFLs and do your bit for the environment, and make it easier to comply with all of the building regulations.

If someone would be so kind as to either make this a sticky or put it in the wiki so people can add to it, I would be grateful. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I might have to take a look at these. I have some downlights fitted above my stairs and landing that use GU10s. They are all on flyleads so it should be a simple job to pop the GU10s out and replace them with these, as long as the flyleads aren't too short.

I guess there's no hope for my 2, 3 and 4 light ceiling fittings as yet though. :(

I pretty much go along with the review. One thing though is that the MM 11w is slightly wider dia and was a real struggle to get into the holder unlike the halogens they replaced.I certainly hope they do last 15k hrs as I'm not looking forward to getting them out...!!

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks Steve - that's a really useful review.
Can you tell me anything about warm up times for the GU 10 CFLs - do they take long to reach full brightness?

thanks,

Phil

JCC and many others do a fitting to take the deeper CFL lamps. You cant fit standard GU10's in them though, as they would then act as a pin spot!

***UPDATE***

They do now do (megaman) dimmerable GU10's

I've had some in my kitchen for about a week, they are very good indeed. The old LED ones are going in the bin!

Nice review, although I can't help but feel that you haven't paid much attention to LED technology. The LED lamp you have there is absolutely no comparison to the units that have been in manufacture over the past couple of years containing a single or cluster of high power 'Luxeon' style emitters. In fact, I am almost happy to say that GU10 LED technology is ready to replace conventional halogen lamps. The point about colour rendition still stands, but the warm white models aren't far off.

Of course, you won't find these in the DIY sheds, they only tend to sell the 5mm cluster lamps in your review.

We have a mix of these in the kitchen, 3 CFL from different sources (must take them out and make a note of whose they are) and 12 normal. One of the CFLs them is very tight in the fitting.

SWMBO wants the CFLs out as she says they don't give such good light.

I don't see the difference and want to replace all with CFLs so I don't have to worry about upgrading the supply cable (if we had no CFLs and we turn all the lights on the current draw would be 7 Amps ! ! !)

These fittings have the socket on a fly lead so lenght is not a problem.

We also have four in the hall which are fire rated so set length and have conventional bulbs.

Screwfix have CFLs in their paper catalogue which appear to be the same length as a normal light (from memory quotes 52mm?), not listed on-line. Anyone tried these yet?

May be this one . .
http://www.halolite.co.uk/ProductPages/LampDatasheet.aspx?g=6383
But they do list a couple.

GU10-M7W_b.jpg

At £30 a pop maybe 5w LED's are not yet economically viabal.

One day they will :D

It would be nice to get some feedback on high power led, the one shown has

Base : GU10 Mark 7
3 LED
Watts 5W
Colour : Cool white 5000-7000 Kelvin colour temperature
Average Life : 30,000 hours life
38 degree beam angle
700 lux
350 Lumens

LED's have to be the way forward surely ?

I have 4 5W MR16 LED lamps in my study (4m x 3m room) at the moment. So far they are excellent and can be PWM dimmed. I only occasionally need the main lights on. I bought them for £5ea at Rapid.

Nice review, although I can't help but feel that you haven't paid much attention to LED technology. The LED lamp you have there is absolutely no comparison to the units that have been in manufacture over the past couple of years containing a single or cluster of high power 'Luxeon' style emitters. In fact, I am almost happy to say that GU10 LED technology is ready to replace conventional halogen lamps. The point about colour rendition still stands, but the warm white models aren't far off.

Of course, you won't find these in the DIY sheds, they only tend to sell the 5mm cluster lamps in your review.

There was an omicron rep in the wholesalers a few months ago with some all new LED GU10's and I must say the tech is improving, these had more of a warm glow that many people who dislike CFL's desire. If they can get the focused beams and dimming sorted you'd have something acceptable enough to replace halogen spots with.

I did ask the rep why, when they're making such small LED's, his energy saving candle lamps were still bulky yucky CFL's that look a joke in any ornamental fixture. His face dropped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back