Guide price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have to replace our old sonia duval combi. A new one can go in the same place and the gas pipe is thick which apparently is OK. I have been told Valiant are good and I think they cost about £1000. But roughly what sort of price would one be, installed? We live in Oxford. We can get some quotes but we are always out!

may i suggest you see 9

Sponsored Links
That's nicely put MOD. However, when I read 9 it goes on at length and ends with "any such post will be locked or removed " which is a bit of a slap.

You may need a powerflush, £300 upwards depending on the size of your house, TRV's on at least bedroom rads, say £25 fitted each, £400 upwards to change the boiler. Plus you need to have a timer. Get 3 quotes.

Sponsored Links
You have the right attitude re boiler choice. Go for quality. It is worth noting Halstead use the Vaillant heat exchanger, other makes do too. All I fit if I supply it is Buderus, they are a dream, and cost less than the vaillant. Worcester is a well known good make. All good choices. Basically stay away from the chep types places like b&q sell. Buy cheap buy twice and spend a fortune along the way.

In your neck of the woods it may cost more than 400 for the combi swap plus he may add a premium on the price of the boiler. All the other jobs required to bring the installation up to current standards would add on top.

I consider myself lucky if I get 300 for a combi swap, but I don't live in Oxford.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Forgot to say, hoping nobody finds this contentions, but getting rid of SD sounds like a very sensible move. Put in a make which the future fitters can change parts on cheaply in ten years time, i.e. how easy is it to work on.

Of course you can put it in the middle of the lounge for us with an inspection pit underneath if you really want to make our day. If you make our life easy, you pay less for our work, it all goes according to how much work we have to do, it's not that we are difficult to please, it's you that pays for our time. If the boiler is in a kitchen cupboard which we have to twist into and use a tap spanner to undo any of the nuts, it'll take us longer, or worse we may not manage to change the necessary part. In not a few sd's have I failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back