Guitar players

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been playing the guitar for 5 years or so and have often changed my mind as to who I believe the all time best players were.

So......this is my opinion of who I think are the best, although it will probably change again.......

1 Jimi Hendrix
2 Slash
3 The Edge
4 John Frusciante

What does everyone else think?

Sponsored Links
Trouble is there are guitar players and then there are guitar players. You can't compare like with like. My list would include.

Jimi Hendrix
Jose Feliciano
Eric Clapton
Brian May
Peter Frampton
John Williams

Hey, that's a ukelele!

Right, this could be hard. Jimi was a great player, however he was not the greatest. A lot of his live stuff is a shambles... he was on heroin at the time though.

1) John Entwistle (I know, bass player... but he occasionally used a plectrum so I'll allow it to be called a bass guitar, just this once ;) )
2) Jimi H (in the studio, not live)
3) Eddie Van Halen
4) Eric Clapton

There are a lot of excellent players in the world. I think that with an excellent song, a guitarist can really excel. For example, I don't think that Slash is technically as good as Eric Clapton, but GnR had good songs which made the most of his (still rather great) skill.

I've been playing for 7 years, but for the last 4 or so I barely ever get the time to pick up an instrument so my playing is pants!

Sponsored Links
I'd have thought Mark Knopfler might have featured. He's done so much good stuff but the ending to "Telegraph Road" stands out as does the "Sultans of Swing" he did at Live Aid?

ms2004 said:
I have been playing the guitar for 5 years or so and have often changed my mind as to who I believe the all time best players were.

So......this is my opinion of who I think are the best, although it will probably change again.......

1 Jimi Hendrix
2 Slash
3 The Edge
4 John Frusciante

What does everyone else think?

Trouble is you incude the Edge---well no one can doubt U2's success as a successful band mainly due to 50 million stupid Irish Americans who will buy anything Irish or green ( you better believe it ). But one thing U2 arent is a great group musically and one thing the Edge aint is a great guitarist unless you include strumming the same one string through most of their hits a qualification for that catorgary.

Their are many you left out or where you just picking the ones who produced music you liked ( no critism there )

Also i was once listening to a story on Noel Redding apparently he was a very good lead guiter man but was made to play bass when the Hendrix Experience was formed and had to play second fiddle to Jimmy

I dont know how much he was involved in the hits and if he played lead guitar on them but he always claimed royalties from those days and never recieved a penny--rumoured he topped himsif a couple of years ago because of it.

How About these..

Mark Knopfler
Mark King
Freddie Roulette
Steve hackett
Paul Geremia
Curtis Mayfield
Van Halen
T-Bone Walker
Joe Satriani
Carlos Santana
Jimmy Page
John Williams
Bo Diddley
John Lee Hooker
Jeff Beck

Oh, and Frank Zappa....

To name but a few.....

Also

Brian May

Peter Green

Joe Walsh

Eric Clapton

The long haired one from Thin Lizzy before scarface ( cant remember their names )

Listen to Ed Gerhard playing "Crow", or Doug Smith with "Riding the Vortex" for some brilliant fingerpicking on accoustic guitar. As for classical, John Williams is hard to beat these days.
And Brian May on "Brighton Rock" is too good to describe...

Scott Gorham was the Lizzy guitarist with the long hair.

After Brian Robertson left, Gary Moore replaced him. All 3 were excellant!

I never knew Curtis Mayfield played guitar... I even have "Superfly", always assumed he was just the vocalist! You learn something new everyday

Joe Satriani, another great. The lead guitarist in my old band would only accept JS as the only person on earth who could actually play a 7-string. A normally mild-mannered guy, he would get very agitated if you tried to tell him otherwise. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back