Guttering: fitting tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for fitting guttering?

I am removing some old half-round plastic guttering and replacing it with identical, new stuff.

As I am using the existing support brackets I thought this would be a breeze. Wrong.
The guttering seems to be tightly wedged under the tiles. I managed to get a 2 metre end section in OK. Then I noticed that doing so had levered up the pointing on the gable end, leaving a 1/2 inch gap at the gable end!

I'm also having trouble assessing whether the guttering is sloping the right way...I fitted a section, then poured in water and it came out the side I wasn't expecting it to.

Is it best to remove all existing support brackets and start from scratch?
Fortunately, its a bungalow or else I would be really stumped!

Mike

Sponsored Links
If your having that much trouble Mike forget it, because if you break one of the bottom row of tiles, boy are you going to cry because they are the worse ones to break.

Take the brackets off but mark where they were first, then measure down on the first and last bracket about 5 or 10mm if that gives you enough clearence and then relocate the first and last brackets. Tie a peice of string to the brackets pull tight and mark off the string your new bracket locations

Thanks, Freddie.

The "classic" method you suggest may take more setting out but will probably end up being quicker. I have visions of endless faffing about trying to sort the slope out!

Have you done a few guttering installations -- if I get all brand new plastic will it all slot together without much fuss?

Mike

Sponsored Links
I did some last week from new so i used a laser to get my fall, but your fall should be already there but if you are unsure just use a cheap laser to get the fall of about 15mm over 30feet---dont use a line level they are useless and i had my 4m lengths delivered also check where your joints come before yor put you joint bracket up and it all slots together very very easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back