1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Hager J804 20A suitable for lighting circuit?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Sard, 4 Oct 2021.

1. Sard

Sard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I'm laying the cable through my floorboards for a new garden lighting circuit, which I will have wired into my new CU (by an electrician) and on an RCD protected circuit. I've previously had advice here and will be using 2.5mm TE cable for the internal parts of the circuit. However I wanted to check if I could use a Hager J804 20A maintenance free junction box to branch off different lighting groups? All lights on these circuits will be 5W LED bulbs. The circuit will come out into my garage through an adjacent wall and into a CED IP65 24A 5-Terminal Weatherproof Outdoor Adaptable Box (I appreciate it's indoors but wanted to use this anyway), from where it will branch off to lighting groups at the front and back of the house.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    Yes, you may use a J804.

What made you think you might not be able to?

If in an accessible location you could use virtually any type of junction box.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You don’t need 2.5 mm cable for a few LEDs. 1.0mm is ample.

5. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Garden lights are prone to moisture ingress which can result in the RCD tripping. Other circuits on that RCD will loose power. The RCD cannot be reset until the lights are dried out,

A double pole isolator should be fitted to provide full isolation ( Live and Neutral ) of the lights when necessary. Then the RCD can be reset without the need to immediately dry out the garden lights.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sard

Sard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you, I have that in plan. Each light cluster or group will have a DP switch in between.

7. Sard

Sard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can I also confirm whether there is a requirement to screwdown the MF junctions boxes when they are used under floorboards? Currently I have mine resting on the plasterboard for the ceiling below.

8. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Should be no need, providing the cable sheaths are secure under the provided 2 screw clamps

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sponsored Links