Hairline crack in toilet pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently plumbed in an old outside toilet. It turns out there is a very small leak from a hairline crack on the outside of the pan. What’s the best way to prevent it leaking?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I was kind of hoping for a cheap fix, rather than replacing the old one.

"cheap" is expensive in the long run

look at it this way, you put xyz sealer on it you forget about it sealer eventualy "wears out" in the mean time you have relaid the floor, leak starts, before you know it you have to change new floor too.

Sponsored Links
i appreciate the sense of what everyone is advising but i made a huge crack in my wc pan then used ceramic glue (it comes in two parts which you mix together) and its been fine for months. If it leaks again i'll just use more glue.

If the leak isn't likely to cause damage cos it's outside, try "Milliput" a white 2 part goo which sets hard, from plumbers' merchants. Mkae sure its bone dry first, and scratch out the crack a bit so there's something to stick to a bit better.

as its a toilet are you sure you meant to say
ChrisR said:
scratch out the crack .

i was thinking if you substituted the ck for a "p" would it not be more appropriate?

sorry i couldn't help that one

I did manage a repair to a double syphon toilet pan which had a hairline crack running from the floor mount screw holes as i could not get a replacement pan I removed the pan and repaired it from underneath using 2 Part Aredite and Zinc Mess the type you would use on a Car Body Repair. this was meant to be a tempory repair until I could Find a replacement with the correct Floral Pattern to Match the rest of my bathroom but the repair arrested the hairline crack and I didnot have to replace the Pan to date 2 years later. So if its a temp or cheap repair Araldite and Zinc Mess could be the answer. :LOL: Alan

Check your house insurance - you might be able to make a claim.

I got a crack in my WC cistern a few years ago and got £450 for a new suite.

No wonder our insurance premiums are so high. It wouldn't occur to me to claim.

breezer said:
as its a toilet are you sure you meant to say
ChrisR said:
scratch out the crack .

i was thinking if you substituted the ck for a "p" would it not be more appropriate?

sorry i couldn't help that one
As it's toilet related, I'm thinking of something rather painful.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back