Hairline cracks in grout (newly installed kitchen tile)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had 12x12 ceramic tiles installed in my kitchen back in February. I've had the contractors back twice to replace tiles that I found to be high on one of the edges. I'm not sure if the guy used spacers - I am finding high sides on several tiles. Anyhow, the newest problem I am having is hairline cracks along the grout lines. Some of the cracks go for a long way and some are just the length of a tile. I believe the floor was installed over hardibacker that was placed over the original linoleum floor (house was built in 1975). Are these cracks typical of ceramic floors? Do I need to have the contractor back to either replace tiles or replace grout?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the adhesive and grout used were not flexible.

What is hardibacker? The norm is to use 18mm ply and tile on top, but it does depend on what your base floor is mad of.

I would think the heat is making everything expand and the grout/adhesive cannot take it so is cracking.

Meblin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back