hairline cracks in new emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone experienced hairline cracks in new emulsion paint before? I've just sanded down my bedroom walls, wiped them well and painted them. However, I'm getting really fine cracks appearing in two of the walls that I have painted white. These cracks aren't in the wall surface itself, and I can't paint over them as they just re-appear.

Is there anything I can do about this? It looks a little unsightly and I hate leaving a finish that I don't like.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Question..

What was the wall painted with before you re painted it?

What is the wall made of

Do the cracks run in straight lines floor to ceiling?

Are the running if different directions diagonally?

Hello,

Plasterboard walls, were painted with what I can only assume was magnolia emulsion before hand.

The cracks run in all different directions, very much like porcelain if you can imagine.

I sanded down the walls earlier, and then coated it with a layer of primer, and this seems to have sealed them as it looks a lot better now.

Before, it almost looked as if the paint had dried too quickly.

Never seen it before.

Johnny Dangerously said:
Hello,

Before, it almost looked as if the paint had dried too quickly.

Never seen it before.
I've seen it happen a couple of times.
Crackle that looks like porcelain usually is caused by the paint underneath drying faster than the top layer, just wondering if you could have washed the walls down with something like white spirit that caused the layer underneath to soften. Could be that the paint that was on your walls was thinned down cheap builders paint that was softened by the new paint...guessing here.
I would have suggested priming anyway as the solution.
Cait

Sponsored Links
Im at a loss too....these types of cracks are normally common to solid plater walls...very fine cracks that go in all different directions...so thin you cant actually fill them.

But in plasterboard walls...thats imposibble.

Are these walls definatly plasterBOARD?

definately plasterboard, the house is timber frame and all the walls all seem to be board.

Very strange problem really.

Are the crack similar to the size of crocodile skin?>.....last resort, perhaps they have been papered at some point, if the old paste was left behind and painted over it can sometimes manifest itself like this.

Long shot

Sorry I don’t mean to hi-jack your thread but I too am experiencing the same problem on plasterboard walls that have undergone 2 coats of white emulsion. It is as you described, crocodile skin type and very fine cracks. It is more noticeable and intense around corners where walls meet the ceiling.

Just a guessing here....but i wonder if its down to heavy paint uild up and 'mud cracking'.....paint possibly too thick?

Zampa said:
Just a guessing here....but i wonder if its down to heavy paint uild up and 'mud cracking'.....paint possibly too thick?

just what i was about to say - have you been re-coating when the under coat wasn't properly dry ... and maybe adding a bit too much paint so you get the job finished quicker? - been there, done that and it resulted in fine cracks - mainly around the corners where i 'loaded' the brush.

And very likely over the top of some vinyl silks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back