Halogen spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This cropped up in a previous query of mine when I was wondering what the advantages. and disadvantages. where of low/high voltage lighting. The thing of loft insulation and reference was made to constructing boxes to keep the insulation away.
I'm beginning to wish I'd stuck with traditional lighting as it seems that I need to buy these expensive hoods for the purpose of keeping the downlights cool.
Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Sponsored Links
And then there were 2!

I'm in the same boat Jimbo. I find it hard to believe that everyone that has spots, as the fire hoods as well! I'm wondering if this is only required where there is insulation i.e. loft? Hence no insulation no hood required.

Have you looked a LED lighting.
The first reaction, is 'I want to be able to see where I am'. But modern advances in LED lights means they are compararable with conventionable means of illumination.
They also don't get hot and are virtually maintenance free.

Sponsored Links
Qedelec said:
Have you looked a LED lighting.
The first reaction, is 'I want to be able to see where I am'. But modern advances in LED lights means they are compararable with conventionable means of illumination.
They also don't get hot and are virtually maintenance free.

LED lights! Have you got any examples?

Bazdaa said:
And then there were 2!

I'm in the same boat Jimbo. I find it hard to believe that everyone that has spots, as the fire hoods as well! I'm wondering if this is only required where there is insulation i.e. loft? Hence no insulation no hood required.

AFAIK, you're all wrong. Fire hoods are used to maintain the FIRE RATING of a ceiling - when there is a fire, intumescent material expands and fills the void where the light is, in order to keep the fire contained in the room above or below. They are not nessecary where you dont have a fire rated ceiling.

Building a little wooden box is the way to go if you merely want to keep insulation away from the lights. Drill a few holes in the top for dissipation.

LEDs are getting better but I don`t think they`re quite there yet, but sooner rather than later and this is really exiting for all lamps I think. Downlighters etclook pretty but you`ve always gotta think about heat dissapation, power wasted and fire safety (nightmare0

LEDs are getting better but I don`t think they`re quite there yet, but sooner rather than later and this is really exiting for all lamps I think. Downlighters etclook pretty but you`ve always gotta think about heat dissapation, power wasted and fire safety (nightmare0

crafty1289 said:
AFAIK, you're all wrong. Fire hoods are used to maintain the FIRE RATING of a ceiling - when there is a fire, intumescent material expands and fills the void where the light is, in order to keep the fire contained in the room above or below. They are not nessecary where you dont have a fire rated ceiling.

Building a little wooden box is the way to go if you merely want to keep insulation away from the lights. Drill a few holes in the top for dissipation.

Building the wooden boxes sounds cheaper than some of the things I've seen for sale, but how do you know if you have a fire rated ceiling?

you would normally find a fire rated ceiling in a integral Garage, between separate dwellings, (ie:Flats, apartments) boiler rooms and sometimes kitchens.

Salem.

One thing if making the boxes from timber, make sure you leave room for ventilation. Halogens get very hot, very quickly.

Salem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back