Hanging kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a small problem and I hope someone has the advice to get me over it.
In order to level a wall we are hanging our units on I had to put a 2" x 3" batten on the wall over a length of 200cm. The units will be hung from this batten with a similar depth batten at the base of each unit for levelling purposes. The batten is fixed to the wall using 4" x 10 screws with full length raw plugs at 30 cm spacing.

Question is can I now screw the units into this batten or should I use bolts which go through the batten and into the wall for additional security?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
into the batten, sounds pretty strong to me ;)

Into the batten but don't overload the cupboards or it will pull the wall down. :D

Thanks guys.

Why do you think wall collapse is an issue - this is an exterior wall of brick?

Tks
CM

Sponsored Links
I was only joking, I meant that you can probabably get such a strong fixing this way that the wall would fall down before the units would fall off the battens.

petewood said:
I was only joking, I meant that you can probabably get such a strong fixing this way that the wall would fall down before the units would fall off the battens.
:LOL: :LOL: ;)

No need to use any batten at all, 3"x2" will give you problem with base unit line-up below but I don't know the layout of your kitchen, need more info why you need to use 3"x2". The way I do it, is to bolt all the wall units together with metal nut/bolt type for unit in each corners and put the whole lot up on the wall which will override the level of your wall problem. Not sure if this is the information you're looking for?

Thanks Masona - our problem is that there is a step in the wall so needed a batten to bring all units into the same plane.

Nige & Pete - don't do that to me! :eek:

Anyway units have been up for three days now and no sign yet of them coming off. The wife hasn't quite filled them to ultimate capacity yet :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back