Hanging picture on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have a framed picture (normal size, probably around 50cm x 30cm) that I want to hand on plasterboard. Ive read articles online about this and they mention you can get special fixings to use to hang pictures on plasterboard. What do you guys suggest?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
best is if you can work out if the plasterboard is nailed to wooden studs, or is fixed to a brick or block wall with dot and dab.

Once you know how it is built, you can get an better answer.

You can get special screw-in plugs for plasterboard, but if you want anything heavy, you are better off fixing it through to teh stud or wall.

The plasterboard is nailed to the stud work (my mate did it). I did take a photo of the stud work to remind me exactly where the studs(?) were in case I wanted to hang a picture on the wall but I lost the photo! :oops:

You can hand picture frames directly to plasterboard on conventional hanging brackets [picture pins] unless the frame is very heavy.

Sponsored Links
no doubt you can, with light things, but I always feel happier knowing I have fixed into a stud.

You may be able to see the pattern of nail marks if you shine a light across the wall from the side, or you can detect the holllow sound between then by tapping the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back