Happy St Georges Day

Sponsored Links
Ar y Dydd George's Sant hapus chen hefydd :LOL:

(And a Happy St George's Day from me too) :LOL:

stgeorge.gif

Look, I'll even fly your flag for you - now get out and celebrate like us Welsh people do on St David's day :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have read that only one in five 'english' people have heard of st george and even less know that today is the st georges day.

I have to say that I feel a little confused about all of this.

I am tolerant to all race /religions (although I did post to say that I didnt think that toilets should be rebuilt in prisons facing another direction. In my view a toilet is a piece of equipment designed for disposing of body waste matter. They are built ...then you can sit which ever way you like on it. I am taking my kids out on a work on land owned by a paper making company. They have replanted trees and have madde a nature reserve. They have also provided a porta loo. Will they be slated or sued if it isnt facing the right way?)

Anyway...

back to st Georges day.
I am English though have never said this for many many years. I can remember a point in my childhood when I was told that I was no longer English but British.

Im not sure that it really matters to me anymore, as for so long now I have not been allowed by my family to say anything or display anything (flags etc) that would identify me as English.

Living where I do, although it is rapidly changing, there was never really any need to identify me as anything other than the same as probably 99% of everyone else.

I am reading today though the pc brigade are making it incredibly difficult and almost criminal to celebrate being English.

Surely, this is just down to wrong interpretation? is it?

I thought that that we are supposed to embrace all in whatever form we take?

I didnt think we all had to be the same?

I thought we just had to be accepting of each other... and of each others differences??

My hubby has put a flag up today.
He says that he has a right to do this.
He says it does not mean that he thinks he is superior to anyone else.
He says that at the school christmas play, we had to listen to all other cultures celebrations before our own and says how it is no different if he wants to celebrate today.
He says, equality for all.
He says, he celebrates other peoples days with them and he is not ashamed of his culture.
He says he accepts and welcomes others cultures and nationalities and that he expects the same back.

I think I agree... if my understanding of the theory is right.

I worry though that if anyone drives by and sees this flag, that they will think that we are a rascist household.

Sponsored Links
toffee said:
I am English though have never said this for many many years. I can remember a point in my childhood when I was told that I was no longer English but British.

You're lucky, I remember being told by a teacher at school that I was to put my nationality as British and not Welsh. I informed him that my nationality was Welsh and I would put it as such, end of.... Funnily enough he never said anything else LOL

toffee said:
Im not sure that it really matters to me anymore, as for so long now I have not been allowed by my family to say anything or display anything (flags etc) that would identify me as English.

Shame on them for lacking patriotism!

toffee said:
Living where I do, although it is rapidly changing, there was never really any need to identify me as anything other than the same as probably 99% of everyone else.

I could never be the same as anyone else :LOL: We live at the entrance to a small close & on the opposite side of the road our neighbours in the first 2 houses are also Welsh. When one of the English neighbours said he was going to complain to the council that there were too many 'Welshies' living in his road (he was joking), my directly opposite neighbour said that we were going to invest in some huge iron gates and charge the English a toll to cross our piece of the road hahahaha

toffee said:
I am reading today though the pc brigade are making it incredibly difficult and almost criminal to celebrate being English.

It is your birthright and one that you should never deny. If the pc brigade don't like it then they know where to shove it ;)

toffee said:
Surely, this is just down to wrong interpretation? is it?.

More than likely - they wrongly interpret most things :rolleyes:

toffee said:
I thought that that we are supposed to embrace all in whatever form we take?.

*Nods in agreement*

toffee said:
I didnt think we all had to be the same?.

Wouldn't it be boring if we were?

toffee said:
I thought we just had to be accepting of each other... and of each others differences??.

Too darned right - I put up with my next door neighbour frying onions 3 times a week and she has to put up with me playing with the dogs in the garden!

toffee said:
My hubby has put a flag up today.
He says that he has a right to do this..

Too darned right he has - tell him to decorate the whole house with them :LOL:

toffee said:
He says it does not mean that he thinks he is superior to anyone else..

Unless his name is Prince Charles then he's not ;)

toffee said:
He says that at the school christmas play, we had to listen to all other cultures celebrations before our own .

Absolutely disgusting but I can quite believe it. My kids went to a C of E village school and once came home with stuff they'd made for Diwali and nothing for Easter. I threw one holy fit at the headmaster who was totally complacent about it all :rolleyes: Soon changed his tune when the vicar got to hear of it though and sent out grovelling letters to all parents!

The vicar (who is a family friend) laughed about it afterwards about the fact that it was me who was angry with the head, being as I am not a Christian. He thought it was quite diabolical that none of the church going parents had dared to mention it and that it had taken me to fight on their behalf :LOL:

toffee said:
and says how it is no different if he wants to celebrate today.
He says, equality for all..

Too darned right and I'm sorry but if you were born in this country it makes you more equal than someone who wasn't. That is not a racist comment btw but 'when in Rome, etc'.

toffee said:
He says, he celebrates other peoples days with them and he is not ashamed of his culture..

Hope he had his cawl and Welsh cakes on St David's day then? ;)

toffee said:
He says he accepts and welcomes others cultures and nationalities and that he expects the same back..

Here, here Mr Toffee sounds like a reasonable sort of chap :D

toffee said:
I worry though that if anyone drives by and sees this flag, that they will think that we are a rascist household.

Well get the cctv cameras fixed up in case you get a brick through the window then :LOL:

Personally, I think it's a great shame that most English people do not show a bit more patriotism and that the flag of St George only comes out when there's footie on - one reason why it's become associated with violence and hatred? There's always the thugs who wear the flag and go abroad on pretence of being footie fans....

Well posted Toff/Birghtness.

You don't see many flags displayed in windows/doors etc..these days for fear of being portrayed as racist :(

I think it's really sad Markie. Everyone should be proud of their heritage. I know I am and all I can say is good luck to anyone who dares to try and take it away from me :LOL:

The whole Nationalism angle bemuses me, what is their to be proud of?
the countries achievements in war for instance?

I truely believe the day when national flags and patriotism is ended that wars will cease too, we are all brothers and sisters in this world so why should one be tempted to segregate themselves from their brethren by classifying themselves as patrons of a particular country?

it really baffles me and i'd love someone to come out with a convincing reason why we should place ourselves in pigeon holes

Hell the way the country trest it's citizens (even judging by posts from this forum) i'm surprised that they'd still want to blow their trumpet for what after all is just a piece of rocks benefit. :LOL:

kendor, it is all very interesting I find it fascinating trying to work out a solution that mean no more suffering for anyone and all living without fear of violence or hunger etc.

The segregation thing also interests me.
If we are not segregated by nationality, then we are segrgated by religion or race.
This segregation continues down the line to football team clubs, particular car fanciers clubs, etc etc.

Any group that can be identified by a certain criteria is segregated is it not?

Now this segregation may be voluntary... like the football supporters clubs or the Volvo car club or the Christian police group, caravan club, etc etc the lists are endless.

Or, this segregation may be enforced upon groups by for example public services who have to prove that they treat all segregated groups equally.
This is not limited to racial groups either.

At what point do you stop people people from being forcefully put into groups , sometimes supposedly for their own good.

Or, at what level do you stop people voluntarily forming an identifiable group and being proud of and displaying badges and flags.

There has been much research done on this subject Kendor.
It is not just at a national level that violence mild or lethal stems from groups.

There is research that shows that belonging to a group can have a good effect on lessening the chance of violence, aswell as adding to it.

It is a difficult topic isnt it?

If we are not going to allow people to be different and celebrate their chosen beliefs or celebrate where they live or whatever, then by default does that not mean that we have to all be the same?

Whose rules do we then live by?

I am not stating personal view in this entry.. Im simply asking views.

Is it just nationality groupings that you are against Kendor?

Would the alternate or ideal thing be that there would be no entry anywhere of where we are all born?

We would not have passports as nationality wouldnt exist and we could travel anywhere and live anywhere we liked?

Countries name would only be valid for delivering mail.

I hate violence and I dont know at what point it starts.
In simple terms I mean that there are no wars in my local villages.
There may be rivalry about issues but any misdemeanors are resolved or the courts deal with them.
Same between towns and so on... so when does it all change?

when do people suddenly think it is okay to kill?

Where does it suddenly become legal to kill? who says so?

Is it a national thing?

I dont know the answers but Im just glad I live in a country where I am relatively safe and not hungry... Im relieved and proud about that.

open the doors to all and you willl soon see how bad a multi cultural society really is

and yes i am getting at you lot living in middle england where there are very few fugees

try the inner citys and see how multi cults istn working

VOTE FOR THE BNP you know it makes sence :LOL:

oh and happy st geordies day ( did he come from tyneside ) :LOL:

we had a nice fred about St Georges day ...........

then it got killed by slogger an his racist bnp rant ..lol :(

We should all be proud of our own nationalities.....an respect others too....:) :)

file1285.jpg

Didnt see that many during the London marathon..I thought Uncle Ken might had banned them! :rolleyes:

??? BNP racist rant sorry i disagree its hardly racist realising the country is being taken for a ride by certain people

come on is that the best you can do ? go down the pc route is for losers try and open your eyes for a change :cool:

Here we go, here we go, here we go.... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back