Hardwalling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am rendering and then plastering onto exposed brickwork in a 1910 end of terrace SOLID WALL property.
Damp course is perfect.

I have been told NOT to use Hardwall as it will absorb dampness from outside (as no cavity) and months later in winter mildew will appear. Is this information correct?
If this is so, would it at least be safe on internal / party walls ?

Advised I should stick to traditional 5:1:1 two coat rendering mix followed by plaster

Advice / comments please

Sponsored Links
Re the above query - I am talking about INTERNAL render / plastering.
Advice / comments please

Yes, but my question is if I use Hardwall as the render base coat , will it cause damp in the future, as it is going onto a solid wall and not cavity, in an old property. Ive been told it will encourage absorption of moisture through the bricks from the outside. The bricks are sound.

Sponsored Links
Raybuild said:
Yes, but my question is if I use Hardwall as the render base coat , will it cause damp in the future, as it is going onto a solid wall and not cavity, in an old property. Ive been told it will encourage absorption of moisture through the bricks from the outside. The bricks are sound.

personally i would do it in plastering sand and cement at 5 sand to one cement and a good intragal waterproffer i hope this helps

onion said:
Raybuild said:

personally i would do it in plastering sand and cement at 5 sand to one cement and a good intragal waterproffer i hope this helps

sorry waterproofer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back