Has anyone ever bought an old railway carriage for a shed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see them in lots of farmers fields (more like guards vans, rather than carriages I guess) and a house near me has two fully fledged carriages in the garden, and I would quite like one (I caught a bit of a TV programme last night and they were getting one too).

But it sounds expensive - More like you've really got to want one, rather than just be a cheap alternative to a shed.

Anyone got any experiences ??

Sponsored Links
johnny_t said:
I see them in lots of farmers fields (more like guards vans, rather than carriages I guess) and a house near me has two fully fledged carriages in the garden, and I would quite like one (I caught a bit of a TV programme last night and they were getting one too).

But it sounds expensive - More like you've really got to want one, rather than just be a cheap alternative to a shed.

Anyone got any experiences ??

No, these are just examples of early derailments :LOL: :LOL:

Buy a garden shed, bend a sheet of 6mm ply over the roof, bolt on a few old Granada wheel-rims, bob's-your uncle, never know it wasn't the genuine article!

petewood said:
Buy a garden shed, bend a sheet of 6mm ply over the roof, bolt on a few old Granada wheel-rims, bob's-your uncle, never know it wasn't the genuine article!
couldn't just the shed pass as a carriage? on the assumption that if it doesn't move it's a train carriage :)

Sponsored Links
I'd really like a carriage, resturant car would be ideal, or maybe just a buffet car, problem to overcome is the 38 tons that some of them weigh. :eek:

Guards van was the thing to have on self builds back in the 50's around these parts, usually first thing to appear on greenfield sites.... 1955 family paid £20 (inc delivery) !! ... So at 9% cost inflation £1487 now ????

Excellent timber build, DRY inside, very secure .. did it need to be then? (um..yes !) Remained in use as a tool storage shed for a decade ... Then sold on (for a small profit !!) to a local smallholding !

Not much information there but that's life !!

;) ;)

oilman said:
I'd really like a carriage, resturant car would be ideal, or maybe just a buffet car, problem to overcome is the 38 tons that some of them weigh. :eek:
i wonder how much of that weight is the rolling stock and if it can be removed easily without damage to the carriage?

kendor said:
oilman said:
i wonder how much of that weight is the rolling stock and if it can be removed easily without damage to the carriage?

the bogies weigh about 4 tones each you could also remove the batteries the dynamo and the brake gear thats down to about 23t plus the buffet gears about another 3 or 4 tonnes

the basic body can be about 21t and 64ft long

johnny_t
It was Skys ,Real Time channel
that repeats the series on turning a Train carriage into a static caravan ,

being a secret anorak/saddo on these kind of progs
it was great on how to buy /where ,
an the conversion from start to finish , they gave tips an prices on restoring the inside etc ...

my last good prog like this was the Alan Herd ,Canal Longboat restoration project that was good ,

Sponsored Links
Back