Having The electric tested?...... Certificate Question too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening. I am having some electrical work done in my council home, by a qualified electrician (you will be pleased to hear, Lol).

I vaguely remember my council saying that if i have any electrical work carried out in my home, it must be carried out by a qualified IEE electrician and a certain (can't remember what it was called) type of certificate, must be issued to state that the electrics have been tested.

Is this certificate just for the testing of the electrical work just carried out or must All of the electric be tested? And does anyone know what the official name of this certificate is please?

I know that i could contact my council to ask them, but i thought that i would ask on here first, Because our council haven't got the most helpful of people working for them.

Thanks in advance for the replies received.

Regards,

Jamie.

Sponsored Links
The electrician would only need to test the circuits that he has worked on.

Depending on what work is carried out he would either issue an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or a Minor Electrical Works (MEW) certificate

Or he may issue one of the new Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate, which is only three pages long as opposed to the commercial five page certificate.

With the property being coincil owned, they usually specify that you use a contractor who is a member of the NIC EIC. I presume this is what you meant by IEE electrician. The NIC EIC and the IEE are two different organisations.

Thank you for that quick and helpful reply. I want to remove the old pullcord switches and replace them with 1 gang switches.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Sorry, That when i phoned the sparky, he said that the electric only has to be tested when work is carried out in the bathroom or kitchen. Is that right? I am almost certain that the council said that it was for ANY electrical work that was carried out.

Sponsored Links
any circuit that has been worked on by the spark should be tested and the correct cert issued accordingly detailing the work undertaken. the testing DOES NOT apply to bathrooms, kitchens and special locations only.

All electrical work that is carried out needs to be tested. This applies to any work any where, be it in a council owned kitchen a private bedroom, an office, top of blackpool tower (you get the idea.)

What the electrician was probably refering to is that work in a special location such as a bathroom or kitchen requires the LABC to be notified of the work, (due to Part P of the building regulations)

However, as I am aware the Part P legislation does not apply in Scotland.

Ah, thats the protocol is is :LOL: , Personally when I have done small electrical jobs for a mentally handicapped relative of mine who is in a council house I've just kept it quiet :) The poor state of upkeep of the house over the last 20 years... they'd have to have some nerve to confront me about a spur socket and a couple of new light fittings ;)

Hi, Sorry to but in,

All electrical work that is carried out needs to be tested. This applies to any work any where, be it in a council owned kitchen a private bedroom, an office, top of blackpool tower (you get the idea.)

What the electrician was probably refering to is that work in a special location such as a bathroom or kitchen requires the LABC to be notified of the work, (due to Part P of the building regulations)

I thought you were allowed to change sockets etc? Are you saying that in my house I cant fit a new socket or light switch, or change a single socket to a double? or change my oven...

Thanks

there is no law that explicitly requires testing of domestic electrical installations (i don't know enough about EAW to comment on the situation in commercial and industrial situations).

However approved document P (non-statutory advice from the ODPM on how best to comply with the requirements of part P of the building regs) does reccomend following BS7671 (also known as the IEE wiring regs) and BS7671 requires testing (though it doesn't require any particular qualifications for doing it) and the tester should then issue a signed certificate with the test results.

I very much doubt any diyer will get in trouble for installing without testing on non-notifiable works in thier own home (with rented accomodation you of course have to satisfy the landlord who may well insist the installation is done to BS7671 including testing and certificates) but testing is a vital part of the ass covering that tradesmen must do nowadays.,

Evening all. Thank you for the replies.

I had a shed built last year. I done all the wiring in the shed, sockets and two lights. I left the wires near my GE Garage fuse box (with a little spare) I buried a 3 core 6mm armoured cable, ran into the shed one end and into the kitchen the other side.

As i use gas to cook, I left it (again with extra length) run to the electric cooker point. I tested the the curcuit of the sockets and lighting by using an extention lead and block connectors ( took the end of the extention lead and connected them via the block connector - as recommended by a sparky that let me down to connect the wiring to the fuse box and cooker point) - I DID get a qualified Electrician in to do all the connection work!

So i need to get that tested and have a certificate issued? Do I?

Thanks for all replies - In advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back