Heating comes on with water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi when I put my hot water on, the Central Heating also comes on regardless if it is off at the wall thermostat and off on the boiler programmer. Can anyone help diagnose the problem.

I have a Danfloss Randall3060 Programmer and a Honeywell Sundial Y Plan (V4073A) valve fitting.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
probably your 3 way valve passing, make sure theres no power at the white wire in your electrical junction box near the valve pump etc.. id definitely go for the diverter valve passing like

Thanks Timmy, the internets a great learning tool, I'd already figured it was the 3 way valve, now I'm wondering if I can open it up and repalce the internal parts (which with a Honeywell Y plan you apparently can). Only thing is I don't know what I'm looking for.

Where would I find white wire in the electrical junction box to make sure there is no power?

Thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Change the actuator head

It may not be the motor. Before changing the actuator remove the existing one, & check the spindle moves freely with a pair of grips, it may be seized. Lash a bit of wd40 on it & free it up, may save you a few bob ;)

i have changed the internal workings in a honeywell 3 way valve before.rubber ball and gaskets etc.
while i was renting from a very tight landlord.
fiddly job and did not really inprove it much.
do your self a favour and change the COMPLETE unit valve and head.
ebay search for honeywell 3 port.

unluckykentucky said:
i have changed the internal workings in a honeywell 3 way valve before.rubber ball and gaskets etc.
while i was renting from a very tight landlord.
fiddly job and did not really inprove it much.
do your self a favour and change the COMPLETE unit valve and head.
ebay search for honeywell 3 port.

Completely pointless if the spindle is merely stuck :rolleyes:

bambergaspipe yor are advising a guy to lubricate the spindle of this valve this means taking the valve cover off,have you seen that the author does not know where to isolate the power yet. only going on what has been mentioned,we dont know how old the valve is.
randall programmer 3060 is very old and the valve could be same vintage.ie fixed actuator.
the power needs to be isolated and confirmed it is so.
at least changing the complete valve will cure this fault.
any expert called to this type of fault should change the complete valve in the first instance to avoid call backs and customer dissapointment.
as per 2 heating engineers in my pub.on wireless internet.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replys, no fighting now. I guess I need to isolate the power, which I'm no expert on, so I shoulf probabley take the advice and repalce the COMPLETE unit valve and head, but this means calling out a plumbe, to drain the system, remove the Y plan and replace it and fill up the system, an expensive job I didn't want to undertake.

Don't suppose you all live nr Aldershot in Hampshire? Oh well its Summer so I guess I can jjust turn of the radiators and live with it for a while ;o(

Really appreciate the advice guys.

Does your honeywell valve have a small 'pip' on the top one end? If so you can replace just the head after turning off switched fuse to heating system, probably in the airing cupboard as well.

bambergaspipe & gas4you.
your replies are always most the best.
but in this case the person needs firstly to do some basic tests to check there is no voltage to this unit before opening up the valve or wireing center attached to it.
so i can only advise the author to get some one in who is suitable for this type of job.
for example his engineer who services his boiler once a year and who is part p qualfied.
yes any gas job is full of compliance reports now.so even a registered corgi guy/gal needs to examine the boiler installation with regard to makers instructions/corgi book or viper publication to ensure the appliance they are working on is within their written down limits.
as you all know any job done by a corgi regestered person/company needs some paperwork left with the end user.
stating the appliance ie boiler.name of boiler.gc number of appliance.flue type.operating pressure or kw.flue test result.spillage result.appliance safe to use.basically its a cp12 report as U was the the last responsible registered gas person there.
if thats news to U good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back