Help! Blistering paint from painting over unsealed artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just painted over an old artex ceiling (house is 1930'a but I suspect ceiling is maybe 60's or 70's). The artex was unsealed. I used a very thin watery paint (B&Q economy job) which was so thin I didn't think it was worth watering down any further. However, the paint blistered in several areas. I carefully scrapped off the paint in these area and re-painted with a thin watered down coat. But I' ve just tried putting a second coat on the rest of the ceiling and now some of the areas that were OK and hadn't blistered after the first coat, have now blistered and peeled away. What am I doing wrong? How should I fix this? and how should I prepare the other ceilings in the house before I paint them.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Terstons_girl.

Terstons_girl.

Sponsored Links
I think the Artex..if it has never been painted is starting to deterioate I may be wrong but im sure Artex, over time, left untreated cam become powdery

Word of warning...if the Atrex is that old it will contain Asbestos so carefull when examining it..

One war around it might be to give it a coat of thinned PVA I have done this on unpainted textured ceilings that have been cover in nicotine stains (after sraying them with weak bleach first) and they have held up fine.

Have a look on the Artex site or give their help line a ring

Terstons_girl said:
Hi all,

I've just painted over an old artex ceiling (house is 1930'a but I suspect ceiling is maybe 60's or 70's). The artex was unsealed. I used a very thin watery paint (B&Q economy job) which was so thin I didn't think it was worth watering down any further. However, the paint blistered in several areas. I carefully scrapped off the paint in these area and re-painted with a thin watered down coat. But I' ve just tried putting a second coat on the rest of the ceiling and now some of the areas that were OK and hadn't blistered after the first coat, have now blistered and peeled away. What am I doing wrong? How should I fix this? and how should I prepare the other ceilings in the house before I paint them.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Terstons_girl.

Terstons_girl.
It may cause u have used cheap paint. What is the instructions on the tub for painting surfaces ?

Sponsored Links
Its not clear whether the paint has blown off the Artex or the Artex AND the paint have blown from the ceiling.

In some places the paint itself has blistered, and in other places the artex has come away with it. The artex is quite old (I know about the potential asbestos issue and am taking as much caution in wearing heavy duty masks as I can), but does artex go 'off' over time?

Thanks Terstons_girl

I have come across old unpainted artex that is powdery..coincedence maybe, cotact Artex they may be able to help out on that score.

If the Artex is coming off to the it could be Distemper below it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back