help connecting a halogen ceiling light track

gdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

need help connecting this to the kitchen ceiling..removed the Fluorescent light and fitting and have three wires L/N/E but the problem is that the new terminal block only has connections for (L) live and (N) neutral
what do i do with the (E) earth wire..........

the overall package comes with 12v transformer 4 x 20 watt bulbs
230V 50 Hz 110 watt

have searched various sites and found on a wickes website that
NOTE: Neither the 12 volt light fittings
nor the transformers are to be earthed.
The earth conductor of the cable used
for the 12 volt wiring should be cut
back flush with the outer PVC sheathing
at both ends. This conductor must not
be allowed to come into contact with
any terminal or metal part of the
transformer or light fitting.
lighting circuit.

IS THIS CORRECT ?

regards

Geoff

Sponsored Links
gdf said:
Neither the 12 volt light fittings
nor the transformers are to be earthed.
The earth conductor of the cable used
for the 12 volt wiring should be cut
back flush with the outer PVC sheathing
at both ends. This conductor must not
be allowed to come into contact with
any terminal or metal part of the
transformer or light fitting.
lighting circuit.

IS THIS CORRECT ?

It most certainly is not. Where did you get this from?
As the light unit/transformer does not require an earth, this wire can be left unconnected, BUT DO NOT cut it off flush with the outer sleeving. Somebody may need it in the future.

Ensure it is covered with earth sleeving (an bit of earth insulation)
fit a connector block (strip connector) to the end if you like and tuck it out off the way.
Do not cut it off and don’t worry about the other end of 6the cable

After rereading the 'NOTE' let me clarify two things.
The notice refers to the 12V wiring, this is the flex going from the transformer to the lights. The earth can be cut from both ends of this if it is present.
My last post refers to the supply earth which you have hanging from the ceiling.

hi thanks BR for the info

yeah its the earth hanging from the ceiling ....so i just cover this up .....keep it out of the way

the instructions with the light did not say anything about the earth so i was a bit confused ....thanks for the help ...........

regards

geoff

Sponsored Links
hi thanks BR for the info

yeah its the earth hanging from the ceiling ....so i just cover this up .....keep it out of the way

the instructions with the light did not say anything about the earth so i was a bit confused ....thanks for the help ...........

just 1 more question

why did this not require an earth

regards

geoff

This apparatus does not require an earth as no bare metal surfaces exist. Any appliance will work perfectly well without an earth, it is there for safety purposes only. To put this simply, should a fault occur in which you are likely to get a shock, the earth wire will cause the fuse to blow switch trip.

Is there a label on the equipment that is a square within a square?

This refers to it being double insulated or Class II, which does not require an earth connection, in many cases it can be dangerous to provide one.

Lots of appliances are DI/Class II. They have no earth wire. The electrical bits are isolated, if you like, usually but not always by plastic.

securespark said:
Is there a label on the equipment that is a square within a square?

This refers to it being double insulated or Class II, which does not require an earth connection, in many cases it can be dangerous to provide one.

Lots of appliances are DI/Class II. They have no earth wire. The electrical bits are isolated, if you like, usually but not always by plastic.

yes m8

the label on the back has a square within a square
thanks for pointing this out

regards

geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back