Help Dulux paint cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I decieded to redecorated my living room and now i seem to have a problem. i've noticed the paint has started cracking in some places, I can only describe it as fine hair line cracks / wrinkles. I applied a layer of polycell's basecoat before I used Dulux rich matt emultion on the wall.

Now i've just been informed by my mum that she used Wilko's home brand silk emulsion before. would this be the cause of the problem ?

I dont know what to do as i've spent a fortune on paints and i'm well ****** OFF!

Is their anything I can do to resolve this problem that wont cost me and arm or a leg ?

Sponsored Links
There's people on here that will go into it in detail about all sorts of reasons why that could happen. I'm of the opinion that it's cause you've used matt over silk. I've had it myself. If it bothers you, give it another coat.

Not being cheeky but rich matt is rubbish, as i have stated on many previous posts. Also one coat stuff. However prior to using polycell basecoat you must rub down to remove any sheen ! Was this done ? How long did you leave the basecoat to dry prior to overcoating with rich matt ? Was it hot weather on the day you painted with rich matt ? Did you have radiators on ? Was there a fire on ? Was there sunshine shining through the windows whilst you were painting with rich matt ? Did the polycell basecoat have a sheen on it ?

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt expect that from a premium brand paint. I thought Dulux was top stuff. Obviously I was wrong :(

What Dulux should I use then in future, Silk emulsion ? I only want to paint the walls and ceiling white. As far as I know the Polycell basecoat does have a sheen to it like silk. however some of the other walls as turned out fine yet in some places on the other walls its just gone funny.

No I dont think it was a hot day, however the sun was shining in the room. no radiator or fire was on.

I plan on doing the hallway next which was also done in Wilkos silk. if I apply basecoat again over the top and re-paint over it with Dulux Silk emulsion, would that be alright ?

Do I still need to wipe down the walls to remove the sheen if im applying silk over silk, or does that only apply if your painting over silk with matt ?

Thanks for all your help

Sometimes, when using low quality emulsion (Dulux Retail) over sheen surfaces, when the sun is making contact with the drying emulsion then this can cause a sahara desert effect on the emulsion etc. Theres loads of reasons on how this can happen. The problem with the problem you have is, you can fix it by whatever method but it may come back in 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, 6 month, 1 year or even 4 years later. The only way that you will be guaranteed it will not come back is by applying lining paper on your walls, then emulsion them with quality emulsion being Dulux Trade Vynil Matt (which is different paint from Dulux Retail)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back