HELP - electrics keep tripping - trying to fit new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to fit new stainless steel sockets to all sockets in the kitchen. I have wired them up and checked and re-checked so many times now(my dad has even come over and everything looks ok to him too) but whenever we try and switch main conusmer unit switch it blows...?

How can we work out which socket is causing the problem?

Thanx for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Have you got any test equipment

Re connect the old sockets you had previously and check that no tripping occurs. Check each steel socket individually though difficult without more info. Any of them smell like they've overheated or any wiring discoloured?

all wiring looks ok - no overheating that I can see or smell

no testing equipment

think we will try and put old sockets back on to try and identify which socket is the problem??

Is there any way we can put one on at a time and leave others unwired?or does all sockets need to be wired together?

Is this circuit on a ring final or radial and what fuse rating has the circuit got? Are all the earth wires sleeved and connections tight

Personally i'd rig something up with an RCD to check the sockets individually. Have you got one?

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a low resistance L-N or L-E fault. As such it is unlikely you will smell anything, or see any signs of overheating - it trips far too quickly for that.

If it were me (and ensuring the MCB will not be turned on by someone else whilst I'm working!), I'd remove all the sockets, then check each cable segment and socket separately for L-N and L-E shorts with a multimeter (actually I'd use my Metrel multi-tester, but a multimeter set to a low-resistance range will do the job and costs only a few pounds from Maplin)

That should identify the cable segment or socket where the fault sits.

If you suspect a fault socket rather than the wiring.

Remove socket A- then join L-L, N-N, E-E- turn on, fuse pops.

Repeat at each socket until the fuse doesn't pop- then you've found the faulty socket.

Couple of things to think about- Do you have a fuse board with a RCD unit and rail feeding the fuse for the kitchen? If you have, you haven't added in a cooker type socket have you? Cause if so, that's the problem.

This type of thing and RCD protection don't like each other

KN83NCW.JPG

Chri5 said:
If you suspect a fault socket rather than the wiring.

Remove socket A- then join L-L, N-N, E-E- turn on, fuse pops.

Repeat at each socket until the fuse doesn't pop- then you've found the faulty socket.

What a stupid post, this is not good advice.
It's downright dangerous, a protective device should not be used in this manner.

My advice would be to contact an electrician to firstly check there isn't an existing problem with the circuit then to fit the new sockets and perform a minor works certificate.

monkeybeepbeep said:
[SNIP] whenever we try and switch main conusmer unit switch it blows...? [/SNIP]

...which makes me wonder if the OP is actually referring to an RCD. Perhaps there's an earthing fault which is only showing up now that metal sockets have been fitted, or there is a N-E fault due to a trapped or damaged cable somewhere.

Does this fault still occur if NONE of the new sockets are attached to the wall?

yes me too thinking trapped live conductor due to non qulified person doing work in special location. Loads of scary things to think about.

Paul Barker said:
yes me too thinking trapped live conductor due to non qulified person doing work in special location. Loads of scary things to think about.

A kitchen is not a special location.

GaryMo said:
Paul Barker said:

A kitchen is not a special location.

ODPM did used to say that government had defined for the purposes of part P as a special location. BUT it's gone with 2 jaggs.

But lets not split hairs, I know what you are saying, the point I am making remains regardless of terminology. For the purposes of unqualified workers with no membership of certifying bodies a kitchen cannot be worked in.

what is ODPM ???

I was too slow.. I saw the last post has been edited and then realised too what it meant !!!

Oh! and a Kitchen is still listed as a "special location"

Paul Barker said:
ODPM did used to say that government had defined for the purposes of part P as a special location. BUT it's gone with 2 jaggs.

Electricians guide to building regulations including approved document P:

Special Locations:
Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin
Swimming pools or paddling pools
Hot air saunas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back