Help for smoothing rough plaster walls & ceiling?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -
Our house has 'textured' plaster walls & ceiling from a former DIY owner. I've had two plasters in who confirm that it is plaster, not Artex. I'm considering resurfacing it myself as everything is in good condition, just an outdated 'trowel' sort of texture.

I've read a number of DIY pages and wonder if I would be successful with something like Polyfilla Plaster Skim or 2 coats of finishing plaster.

Any advice?

Thanks much - :)

Sponsored Links
Dear Masona -

Thanks for the tip. Follow-up question - in skimming with this product, how do you control for level or flatness? What is the best advice/info you can offer about skill to apply?

Thanks again-
Fargo

Read the manufacter instruction on the Artex Skim Coat

The Artex Skim Coat stays wet and workable much longer than plaster, so you got time to play with which is a lot easier than plaster.

You can mixes it up with an electric drill & stirrer.

If it your first time then I would practise on a old plasterboard or plywood to get the feel of it and even upside down pretending it's a ceiling !

Sponsored Links
Usual method for keeping plaster flat is a long plank, run this up or down the wall then 'wet' float over it with plasterers (square) trowel to smooth it off.
Whether the artex skim is the same I don't know.

Thanks for the help & advice. We're off to get started now!
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back