HELP,HELP, banging boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
help needed why is the central heating pipes banging when i turn it on ,the boiler ignites then few seconds later pipes start banging and then overheat lite comes on ????????????????? help!

Sponsored Links
No flow through boiler. Check that pump hasn't stuck as a first idea. Put towel under it and loosen large screw in middle, put flat bladed screwdriver in it and see if you can turn it. If not try knocking with a hammer. If these fail then time for a new pump.

Will probably need make/model of boiler to go very far with this when somebody who knows what they are talking about comes along, but my initial guess is the pump isn't working, or the system is short of water due to a blocked cold feed etc.etc.

Edit:- somebody who does know got there first!

the boiler is a baxi solo 3 if this helps i have not had heating on all through summer so i thought that may have been the problem.

Sponsored Links
What happens when you ask the hw to come on. The same? or does it run ok?

The boiler controls the pump on this model.

tried the water boiler lite is on but no other lites are lighting up and no igniting (if this makes sence to you )

Could be a problem with the zone valve in your airing cupboard then. If you have 2 the ch one could be stuck closed.

You need someone in to run a logical fault diagnosis to see how far power is getting and eventually see what is stuck, blocking the boiler flow or indeed see if the pump is stuck as said previously.

Almost certainly the pump seized.

Can probably be spun to free it up.

See FAQ for help with this.

Tony

gas4you said:
Could be a problem with the zone valve in your airing cupboard then. If you have 2 the ch one could be stuck closed.

You need someone in to run a logical fault diagnosis to see how far power is getting and eventually see what is stuck, blocking the boiler flow or indeed see if the pump is stuck as said previously.

thanks for the advice dave

nothing is happening now just the light saying the boiler is on,as iam female idont have a clue about this so can anyone tell me how much should this cost to sort the problem out?????????
thanx
kelly

Try my first post suggestions about the pump. You should be able to do this yourself.

Also try turning boiler stat off for a few seconds then back on with ch and hw demand.

Can't relly advise how much it will cost as we haven't diagnosed the fault.

If it were to be the pump needing to be replaced then I would charge £141 for a simple pump swap in my area.

been in airing cupboard took front off boiler span a fan in there ???? turned it all back on just hot water as soon as all pipes got hot turned itself off again :( :( :( :( :(

Then is definitely sounds like the pump or the boiler pcb controlling the pump.

Could you see the pump? and the silver screw in the middle? It wont be in the boiler. Put a fla screwdriver in and see if you can turn it. If not you will need someone in to test if there is 240V going to the pump before a new pump is fitted.

FINALLY FOUND THE PUMP :oops:
was able to loosen it water came out is this alrite?
do i leave it alittle bit loose or tighten back up
thanx again
kelly

Thats why I suggested a towel under it ;)

With the silver screw off, put the flat bladed screwdriver in and see if you can turn the pump. Hopefully you will find it stuck then turning will release it and problem solved.

Replace silver screw afterwards and fully tighten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back