Help! Humming, Rattling & Hammering Radiators ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a property which is about 15 years old and is fitted with a Concord WRS boiler and radiators with values in every room (supplied by a local retailer when it was built). About 30 minutes after the heating has been switched on, one or two radiators start to rattle, hum or hammer. The only way to stop the escalating noise is to race round the house and fiddle with every valve until the noise subsides, only to start again in a different room about 20 minutes later! It's driving me mad ... any ideas. Is it a good idea to bleed the radiators and is this likely to stop the noise?

Any advice appreciated.

:(

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing on this one,it could be water expansion by heating the water too quickly ???? You could try and turn the boiler stat down and maybe increase the pump setting to number 3 or higher,this is so the flow rate increased and slow down the heating in the boiler or you may have sludge build-up which restricted the flow.See what the others think....

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I keep the boiler at half to one all the time, so don't think this is the problem. No idea how to change the pump setting??

MimiJane

Most pumps have speed settings with a disc you can turn with a wide flat screwdriver, usually located on the terminal block. (Not the bleed screw in the centre of the pump)

Sponsored Links
Thanks ... I'll get the boyfriend onto this one and let you know if it works.

x

67174_l.jpg

you see the Small little silver screw in the picture? now look up and to the right that is the speed adjuster for this pump (yours amy be slightly different) but it is NOT the big silver one in the picture

Sorry to report to all that, having tried all the options, nothing has made any difference to the deafening sporadic noises, so nothing for it but to call in the experts and let them have a look.

Thanks anyway to you all.

As above, yes, valves on each radiator. It's only by fiddling with these on one or more radiators when they start to rattle every half hour or so, that I can stop the noise. Just wish it would stop the noise for good .....

Hi to all those that had any input to my thread.

Just to report back on what the problem was ... apparently the thermo. valves are all on the wrong sides of the radiators (opposite the water flow side), which causes the banging/hammering noises. Rather than have all the valves re-situated, I've been advised by a plumber that, providing I keep all the radiators at the maximum setting, the noise should stop. This has indeed stopped the noise and I'm one happy bunny!

Thanks to all.

MimiJane

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back