help ive made a silicone sealant shambles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
my husband is a plumber who will not do any diy around our house.
so its left to me( definitely not a tradesperson of any stretch of the imagination) to sort out botch jobs that were done before we bought our property. ( sadly with my own botch jobs replacing them!!!)

ive just drilled out grout at the tiled area at the end of our bath as it was cracked & discoloured & silicone sealant should have been there instead. today i had a bash with the silicone sealant & omg what a mess!

it actually didnt look too bad & was quite smooth till i started trying to make it perfect & ended up making a right mess :eek: ..........
so now it looks like i have to get this sealant stuff out again & start again
i have a feeling the only way is to dig & peel & curse & dig & peel!!!
am i right or is there a magic way to do it???

eternally hopeful

Sponsored Links
Get a sharp chisel and run it along both edges of the seal (so the cut would meet in the corner..... if you follow). Then it should just peel away. You may need to persevere with the odd bit, but a chisel is the way to do it in my opinion.

You can also get a jar of Sealant Remover, it softens the sealant so you can scrape it out. I had some off Screwfix but I imagine it will be widely available.

I have also used a set of scalpel-like things with interchangeable blades. V sharp and more precise than a stanleyknife. I don't know the proper name for them though.

Sponsored Links
millym said:
thanks for tips, got the stuff out today ....now to try again!! :D

It's best to physically remove as much sealant as possible, as the silicone eater isn't that good.

JohnD said:
I have also used a set of scalpel-like things with interchangeable blades. V sharp and more precise than a stanleyknife. I don't know the proper name for them though.

Craft Knives.

Hi millym ;)

what you need to do is mask off the line above sealant an on the bath edge ,so you have area needed to fill :)
you then pump the sealant gun along this infill an take your time try not to do it all at once but sections ...

an then with a finger dipped in washing up liquad an water from a cup , you push this into the void /infill line , using a few kitchen towels to clean finger ,
take your time ,
an once you have the whole bath end done
just one last wipe all along the whole strech ,
leave to go off for a cuppa/beer ?

then peel of basking tapes, gently making good along line again , btw way fill the bath full of warm water before you start ....
hope this helps Petal ?

Moz must be having an off day - mask off as mentioned then smooth off with your finger. Then immediately remove all the tape and once more go over the silicone with your finger. If you leave the silicone long enough that it "skins over" and then remove the tape, you'll tear the edges and it'll look blurdy awful.
Why does the water in the bath need to be warm Moz?

gcol

Eddie M.,Eddie M

two keen bitches here .... to help ...as there are ,....

Moz said:
gcol

Eddie M.,Eddie M

two keen **** here .... to help ...as there are ,....

I do hope you're not on the stella again young man.

gcol
I done more "fingering" than youve had hot dinners sunshine ,lol
plastic baths expand more with warm water ....Fact ....lol

Eddie M
stella
no just the crack cocaine ;)

Moz said:
gcol
I done more "fingering" than youve had hot dinners sunshine ,lol
plastic baths expand more with warm water ....Fact ....lol

Yawn.....

Plastic baths....... balls...... and even if they did, the heat/warmth wouldn't effect the very edge of the bath when the water is so far below. :rolleyes: Get a grip man.

gcol
first thing you learn at plumb school convection ...
hmm try that with the old corner baths an the new lipped edged baths ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back