Help needed wiring a ceiling rose light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm a total newbie to electrics and I really need somone's help.
I have a celing light in my lounge that I have replaced.However,I can't figure out which wires go where.
The light is connected to a double gang switch which operates two lights: one in the lounge and one in the kitchen.
I have drawn a diagram to show the situation:
wireing.jpg

From the diagram,I have three sets of wires coming out of the ceiling: a set of red and black wires (with a bare metal earth wire), a set of red,blue and yellow wires (with a bare metal earth wire) from the 2-gang switch and another set of red and black wires (with a bare metal earth wire).

Can anyone explain to me which wires get connected together in the celing rose?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
draw a diagram of behind your switch......

i think i know how it is wired, and you will need to identify which cable goes to the kitchen light, either by following the route, or using a multimeter or similar to beep the cable out.

Drawing coming up of the possible wiring method...

Hi and thanks for helping :D

Here's a photo I've just taken of my switch:

1.jpg
]

The yellow wire with the red sleve fell out as I was unscrewing the switch.I thinkI put it back in the right terminal, althoughI'm not 100% sure.

Sponsored Links
As I thought - yep. the yellow and blue wires may be back to front, this will alter which of the switches does the lounge and kitchen. Look at the rear of your switch, you can check the colours.

Hi Lectrician.

Thanks ever so much for helping me.
I really appreciate it.

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Ludwig

and remember your earth sleeving, and the yellow and blue are actually live, so need some red sleeving on them.

In looking at the switch, that appears to wired wrong aswell?? I cant see too well at the terminals, cant be sure....

I have read your bit at the bottom of the pic now.......god this post is getting untidy - but i am in a ruch to get out!!

the yellow has gone in the wrong terminal - put it in the diagonal terminal from it.

If the switch works, but upside down, post again.

Hi Lectrician.

All in working fine. Thanks for your clear pic.It really helped me out :D

One small thing:
At the moment one switch (S1, say) is operating the kitchen light whilst the other switch (S2) does the lounge. If I wanted to have S2 doing the kitchen and S1 the lounge, would I just swap the yellow and blue wires on the back of the switch?

Cheers
Ludwig

Yep, you have got it. Are the switches the correct way up?? If not, which ever switch is the wrong way up, needs the L1 putting into the L2 or visa versa.

Glad to be of help. No lighting circuit is ever as straight forward as it says in the books :D

Hi Lectrician.

Yes, the switches are the right way up.

Thanks again for all your help. You are a star :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back