Peeling Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a single block semi detached house. There is a north / east facing exterior wall that continually gets mould in the winter - (also an ongoing problem if anyone has any tips)

Recently we took the paint back to plaster and applied bicarb and white vinegar to help kill the spores, before repainting as usual.

The paint has now started to peel off in a way that we have never seen before. This area of wall normally needs to be repainted every year or so for aesthetic reasons because of the mould, but never has it peeled in this way.

Would this have something to do with the bicarb? Should more time have been left before painting (it was all done within the space of a couple of days). Or should bicarb of soda and paint never be mixed (say if the bicarb was absorbed into the wall)

The paint has started to peel after a lot of rain too.

Any advice really welcomed.

Attachments

• Paint 1.jpg
    Paint 1.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Paint 2.jpg
    Paint 2.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
That's damp. Buy a cheap damp meter and see how it is. Then maybe seek advice

is it black mould that you get? usually caused by condensation.

Mould spores are everywhere, all the time, but don't grow unless in hospitable moist, slightly warm conditions.

Tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the wall, observe if the room-facing side of the plastic gets misted and water droplets (condensation) or if the surface against the wall (wet wall)

wet wall cause can be rain penetration, perhaps a leaking gutter or around a badly-fitted windowframe,

Condensation cause is lack of ventilation plus excess water vapour, typically wet washing hung over a radiator, can also be a leaking pipe in the floor or wall, or a steamy shower.

OP,
You appear to have a combination of condensation & penetrating damp.
You could simply hack off to masonry all the plaster from floorboards to ceiling - thats all plaster on three walls with any signs of damp.
Then render the walls with a 3:1 mix of sand & lime render & a Remedial skim finish eg Limelite.

Is the exterior rendered - could you post pics of the two exterior walls including the roof/eaves?

Perhaps you could ask the mods to move this thread to the Building Forum?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for advice everyone.

We are considering what you've suggested and will post back in the future if anything interesting comes up.

I just wondered specifically if anyone thinks the bicarb made any difference as the peeling is so much worse this time.

Thank you

OP,
I suggested what the problem is, & what the solution is, in my post #4.
bicarb is useless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back