[Help please] Applying drywall compound on old plastered wall??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wanting to skim coat a old plaster wall that has been painted. Could I use compound for this instead of plaster as i'm not experienced and it would be much easier to sand and even out.

I have searched for hours but can't seem to find an answer, if someone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated! So far i have scraped off bumps and filled in cracks of plaster wall using skrim tape + all purpose filler (tetrion filler) but not sure if that was correct?

So far i have thought:
Applying PVA bond as a undercoat?
Or mixing compound with pva as the first coat then using normal for the rest?

Also i have metal corner beans that I intend the apply with skrim tape+ compound, would that also work? Or could i use skim plaster to apply the bean? (I brought a tub of skim plaster ready mix but was scared to use and im not experienced)

Thank you for your time and hopefully someone can help :D

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Attachments

• D8220FC1-66D0-463F-BB55-DE32EFE9D93C.jpeg
    D8220FC1-66D0-463F-BB55-DE32EFE9D93C.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 184
  • BD7C2468-5043-47EC-A344-7624013BF6C9.jpeg
    BD7C2468-5043-47EC-A344-7624013BF6C9.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 178
D

dontbelieveawordofit

to answer the question . no. when you say compound i’m assuming you mean plasterboard adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
to answer the question . no. when you say compound i’m assuming you mean plasterboard adhesive?

Yeah i got a ready mix plaster joint compound, so would the only way to even out the walls to be skim plaster? thanks

D

dontbelieveawordofit

i have used joint filler previously to tidy up larger areas. however your trowel skills still need to be reasonably competent or youll be sanding forever.

Sponsored Links