HELP! Repairing stains in oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old oak parquet floor. Unfortunately some baby er... :oops: urine was deposited on it and left for a few hours. The consequence was that it penetrated the varnish and the wood and it left some dark stains in it.
I want to repair it and I only want to sand the old varnish on the affected parquet sections but I do not wish to sand the stained areas so deeply that I will end up leaving a valley.
Does anyone know another method of getting rid of the stains?

Help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Try using oxalic acid. I think you can get it from a chemist. Mix the white powder in water until no more disolves. Make sure theres NO finish on the affected area on the floor and brush the acid mixture liberally on with a brush and leave to dry. Try it on a small area first. Use gloves and never ever never breath in the dry crystals that will form on the wood surface - mop them up with a bit of kitchen towel and white spirit. Hope this helps

The guy who did my kitchen used a sharp blade from a plane to scrape the stained area (was soap for my goretex coat) off, treated the area with cellulose thinners, and then he simply re-oiled it.

Sponsored Links
matz said:
Try using oxalic acid. I think you can get it from a chemist......

Thanks for the advice on the Oxalic Acid. For the benefit of others who may have a similar problem, this stuff worked and removed the dark patches without lightening the wood around it.

I bought a Liberon ready made product they call Wood Bleacher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back