Help Rqd. Changing door locks on Transit Van.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How the **** are you supposed to get these off ??

REmoved the door panel but you still can't access the back of the lock as

it is covered by a metal surround that is rivited on.

Any ideas ??

Sponsored Links
Most locks these days are held on with C clips which flick off with a screwdriver or long nosed pliers.Have a look at your new lock and you should see the grooves where the clip sits. After removing this you can often pull the lock outwards and then remove the locking rod from outside the door.

The lockshield is there to stop access down the window/rubber with wire from between the glass and rubber.

If all else fails you could drill the rivets out and replace with new rivets or self tappers, but you shouldn't have to.

To remove the lock you have to drill out the rivits,you will notice that after this has been done the metal still wont come out this is because it bonded with sealer(the bit that touches the inside of the door)with a stanley blade cut through the sealer and remove the metal box.
To remove the lock you will have remove the window guide(the window runs up and down in this) a torx bolt holds this in(you will see this at the edge of the door) You can now pull of the clip holding the lock in.
I do these every day as part of my job

Sponsored Links
Or Riyou...
You must be gifted working with this stuff every day
14 years on, I hope you have fixed one that's buggered and the door is still closed....
I cannot fathom. How to open this door.
From either inside or outside the van it will not open, please advise how I can get the door open to fix or replace the lock. Ford transit front door.

Given how riyou hasn't been back since mar 2005 , don't think he will be helping you......

Back