Help! Strange paint reaction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just painstakingly painted my lounge walls in my new house but the paint is cracking once dry. However, it's only cracking across a six-inch strip, which I'm assuming is where there may have previously been a border that was probably glued on. Has anyone else every come across this problem or have any advice how I can solve it? I've now put on two coats of emulsion.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
there might be old wallpaper paste under the paint. There are ways of covering or sealing it but if you have recently been decorating I think you would do better to scrape that strip off, and wash/rub/scrape the bare plaster with warm water in that strip untl there is no sensation of sliminess and the plaster seems clean.

Grrr. Thank you, John D. It's cracking through the third coat, so I'll wait for it to dry and then I'll have to sand it back.

Help said:
Grrr. Thank you, John D. It's cracking through the third coat, so I'll wait for it to dry and then I'll have to sand it back.

Use a scraper (flat paint scraper) to get the paint off down to the plaster. It'll be quicker, and if as I suspect the paint is still relatively soft and not adhering well, it'll be much much much less effort. No need to wait for it to dry - the new paint will make it softer.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
there might be old wallpaper paste under the paint. There are ways of covering or sealing it but if you have recently been decorating I think you would do better to scrape that strip off, and wash/rub/scrape the bare plaster with warm water in that strip untl there is no sensation of sliminess and the plaster seems clean.

My first thoughts too..no easy solution..id go with what JD has suggested too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back