Help! Taking off a door frame to fit in a sofa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new sofa has arrived and will not fit in through the lounge door. The delivery people suggested that I take off the door frame and then put it on again in order to fit the sofa through the door.

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? Is it very difficult and am I likely to have to do a lot of work to get the frame back on?

Sponsored Links
I have just taken delivery of a large 3 seater, I thought there would be problems with corner & door, salesman said ' it is designed to be dismantled for tight access. As it happens it went in. Have you asked the supplying company if the furniture can be dismantled. It might be they are looking for an easy access.
Anyway re your question, How much extra width are you looking for, removing the door only will give 1.5" approx, to remove the frame will not give much more in width, but it will give you a decorating job after.

heeelllooo jdoug :D :D :D and welcome

before thinking about part demolition :cry:

is the furniture fully disembled[feet arms legs ect]

have you an alternative door or angle off approach to the door !!!!!
as in round the back in the patio doors or approach from a different angle that may give you more room

would removing the door and doorstop give you enough room!!!!!!

would it be possible to remove a window easier for access

ok now you decide to remove the door lineing :cry: :cry:

remove arcatrave both sides disrupting decoration and plasterwork

remove doorstop if your lucky youll see screws[but in the real world ;) ]if its nails youve got to remove or cut the nails behind to remove the lineing unless it comes out easily you will need a new one

when putting back in you will have to put in as squint as it came out to fit the door

look how much faster diyisfun types than me it took me 20 mins to compose this answer with one finger and 2 brain cells :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
or as happened to us I knew the sofa we wanted wouldn't fit in through our lounge door and so DFS made it slightly different their delivery guys turned up and basically put the two halves together and fitted the padding etc and put on the covers (probably only able to do this on loose cover sofas) god knows how we get it out though.
Would remove the lining only as a very last resort and then only if you are sure it's going to make all the difference

big-all

heeelllooo jdoug and welcome

look how much faster diyisfun types than me it took me 20 mins to compose this answer with one finger and 2 brain cells
I only beat you because I'm a rude bu**er & didnt saye 'WELCOME'
:LOL: :LOL:

I've read through this but didn't see an obvious answer.

I also have this problem. The sofas can't be taken apart, the feet can't even be taken off.

How do I go about taking off the bit of wood that the door rests on? Is that the lining?

Sammz said:
I've read through this but didn't see an obvious answer.

I also have this problem. The sofas can't be taken apart, the feet can't even be taken off.

How do I go about taking off the bit of wood that the door rests on? Is that the lining?

heeelllooo samez and welcome :D ;)

an extract from my answer above

"ok now you decide to remove the door lineing

remove archatrave both sides disrupting decoration and plasterwork

remove doorstop if your lucky youll see screws[but in the real world ]if its nails youve got to remove or cut the nails behind to remove the lineing unless it comes out easily you will need a new one

when putting back in you will have to put in as squint as it came out to fit the door "

Yeah, I read that but how? Hammer and chisel? What's archatrave? Cut the nails. I need it very specific lol

Thanks for the welcome :) I've just bought a new flat so this forum will be great for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back