HELP, WATERMARKS ON BEECH FURNITURE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, WONDERED IF YOU COULD HELP, HAVING SPENT £160.00 ON BEDSIDE CABINETS, JUST OVER A MONTH OLD, i put a class of water onto the cabinet, its a beech looking thing, probably covered mdf, anyway the class has left 2 circles on the top of the cabinet, i'm furious, i thought i could place anything on the top. i phoned the shop, nothing can be done, if the drawers on the cabinet were broke we could replace. but not for watermarks. they said try shoe polish, to no avail, i have since phoned trading standards, nothing to be done, so i'm let with £160.00 cabinets. one stained. ANYBODY OUT THERE, GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW I CAN REMOVE THE MARKS, before my partner throws them out, as he did not want me to pay that for them, but they match the wardrobes i bought from the same company. yes we girls like things to match, ANY HELP. thanks julie

Sponsored Links
Have you tried methylated spirit ? I can tell you more but try this first.

masona said:
Have you tried methylated spirit ? I can tell you more but try this first.

hi, is it the same as white sprit, as i have this in the cupboard, thanks julie

Methylated spirit is a purple colour but you could try white spirit first.

Sponsored Links
methalyted spirit is NOT the same as white spirit hence the difference in names

you could put a glass (or two) on the other cabinet too and call it "designer pattern"

Methylated spirit is de-natured alcohol, white spirit is just down the hydrocarbon list from petrol.

Is your beech coated with any finish coat? Some of the acrylic varnishes seem to mark easily but then dry out and the mark disappears. Is it definitely beech? as this is difficult to mark, so it could be making the whole top damp might make the mark go.

Is the finish as purchased important? I've used tung oil on bathroom window sills made from parana pine, and when it dries in about 8 weeks, the surface is waterproof, yet looks just like unvarnished wood.

What colour are the marks - whitish or blackish?

julieanns said:
i put a class of water onto the cabinet, its a beech looking thing, probably covered mdf,
I'm a bit :confused: what sort of finish the top is ? Normally should be able to wipe it off unless the water soaked in ?

hi, it's julie, i have tried white spirit, it made no difference at all. the 2 circles are whitish colour. i have also tried clear shoe polish , still made no difference. the cabinet is beech in colour, i will take a closer a look and see if it mdf or real wood, but i'm sure the salesman said they were beech covered. , the salesman has said if the drawers/runners were damaged he could replace the whole unit. what am i suppose to do wreck the unit to get a replacement, ? well i suppose it is wrecked with the stains. i'm furious really to think i paid £80.00 for each bedside unit for this to happen, i had mfi units for over 17 years, never marked , only cheap things , but hey they never stained. i just wished i never parted with them, oh well these thing happen. i suppose i have 2 options, either put up with the stains. or purposly wreck one of the drawers runners unit to get a replacement. , please anybody gave a liitle advice. thanks julie

hi, it's julie, i have tried white spirit, it made no difference at all. the 2 circles are whitish colour. i have also tried clear shoe polish , still made no difference. the cabinet is beech in colour, i will take a closer a look and see if it mdf or real wood, but i'm sure the salesman said they were beech covered. , the salesman has said if the drawers/runners were damaged he could replace the whole unit. what am i suppose to do wreck the unit to get a replacement, ? well i suppose it is wrecked with the stains. i'm furious really to think i paid £80.00 for each bedside unit for this to happen, i had mfi units for over 17 years, never marked , only cheap things , but hey they never stained. i just wished i never parted with them, oh well these thing happen. i suppose i have 2 options, either put up with the stains. or purposly wreck one of the drawers runners unit to get a replacement. , please anybody gave a liitle advice. thanks julie

Can you send a picture of it ? I'm trying to understand what the material is made of.

There are a couple of things to try. The rings are caused by condensation building up under the finish of the wood. First you could try putting an oily substance on the rings like petroleum jelly, furniture wax or liquid furniture polish and leaving it for about 8 hours. If that doesn't work try some denatured alcohol on a cloth - apply sparingly and and keep moving (the cloth, not you).
Lastly and least desirable (if none of that has worked) is to remove the top surface using something like paraffin and fine grade -0000- wire wool. Rub very lightly until the ring has disappeared. This removes the the top layer of the finish so you will have to then re-polish it to its original splendour. Heartbreaking to have to do it on new furniture. :(

hi it's julie, i have just used some creme cleanser, but it appears the harder i rub it taking the top layer of the beech off, so i have stopped that. i will try leaving the furniture polish on, and see what that does, thanks for the help, very much appriation,

I has a similar problem,I cut a square dark smoke plastic sheet 1/4" thick from pvc shop (or you could use colour glass,make sure the edge been polish) and put that on top as it should hide all the marks underneath.I use plastic at the time because of young kids about !

hi, thanks for that, i was thinking glass , after i got the stain out, but since nothing is working, i will go out and buy dark smoked glass (glaziers i presume ) and that will be great, thanks for all help. julie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back