HELP! weird central heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I have a fairly new system (about 6 yrs). The problem is the radiators don't warm up at all. The boilers fine, fires up nicley... the actuator turns to the correct position... the pump vibrates and gets nice and warm as do all the pipes around it. But there is no flow around any of the radiators! I've bled everything and cold water flows out of all the radiators and warm water drips out of the pump bleed. I've got plenty of hot water.

I just can't figure this out (and yes all the radiator valves are open and the room thermostats on full!)

Any suggestions would be very welcome, thanks

Sponsored Links
do you have a combi boiler? (i will guess not)

It sounds like your pump is not pumping (you will get water through your radiators because of your header tank pressure) as you said "But there is no flow around any of the radiators! "

[Edited by breezer on 04-01-2003 at 11:46 AM GMT]

[Edited by breezer on 04-01-2003 at 11:47 AM GMT]

um, I have a little Potterton boiler in the kitchen which has electronic ignition.

Bleeding the pump seems to have helped a little, now the radiator closest to the pump warms to about 10 degrees C.

I don't understand how the pump isn't pumping the hot water round if it's vibrating and getting warm. Surley they either work or they don't... or is there an 'in between, your pump is on the way out stage'?

Appriciate the help, it's pretty cold in here. BrrrRRrrrr!

i am not a heating engineer i only speak from experiance. The previous house i was in had a similar problem, the pump was working (well i thought so, it whired away quite merily) I got a heating engineer in his diagnosis took all of 10 seconds, "your pump has gone" I changed it and much to my surprise all was well

Sponsored Links
Ah right, thanks very much for your help. I'll have a play about trying to get anymore air out the system until I'm satisfid the pumps had it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back