Help with 2-way dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a dimmer switch to replace my existing standard switch.

I noticed it's a 1 gang, two-way dimmer switch, but the existing switch is one-way. And there is only one light/switch in the room.
Will I have to return the 2-way dimmer for a 1-way, or is it still possible to install without any danger?

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
what terminals does the dimmer have? what do the instructions say? it should be able to be used as a 1-way.

Hi, all you need to do is simply use the common an L1 terminals on the back of the switch (Common - permanent live wire, L1 - Switched live to light). Ignore the L2 terminal as this is only required for two way switching. Hey presto one spanking new one way dimmer.

Rob

The dimmer has terminals L1, L2 and C. The instructions are not specific for this dimmer - they show how to install both 1 and 2-way dimmers.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ah cool - got your reply just as I submitted mine. Thanks a lot!!!

oh sorry - one more question - do I need to earth it?

if it is a metal front plate (eg brass, chrome etc) then YES. This can be done by taking a link from the light switch back box earth terminal to the terminal on the back of the dimmer. If it is a plastic fronted dimmer then just make sure the earth cable is connected to the back box terminal.

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back