help with bleeding radiators pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there - i read all the thread on the subject and tried to bleed my radiator last night only when i put it all back together, the radiator stopped working all together - :cry:
can you please give me any advise on what ive done wrong and how i can fix it now? I make sure the 2 valves at the bottom of the radiator were open enough etc and made sure all was the same as i found it but to no success - Considering the radiator is in the nursery, i need to get it fixed ASAP - any help welcome - thank you - FrenchBird -

Sponsored Links
do you have a combi boiler or back boiler?
is the water coming out of bleeding screw ?
is the pump working( feel it to feel slight vibration)
if you have a header tank is there water in it.
is the room stat (if you have one ) up high enough.
try these for a start.. :)

barry

'Put it back together again' ?? :confused:
What did you do ? You just need to loosen the bleed screw by one turn to let the air out.

Hi Barry - not sure what kind of boiler we have :confused:
Yes the water came out - yes the pump is working and u can hear the water and feel it vibrate and yes the boiler is full - havent got a room stat in that room - :p
When i mean "put it back together", i mean screwing the valve back on - maybe i didnt use the right valve hence the problem - it seems so easy when you read about it -
(probably not using the right terminology as not British ;) )

Sponsored Links
please tell us what you have done right from the beginning
Brian

ok - here it goes - i turned the heating off then open the valve located at the bottom right of my radiator (the one of the left being the one with + & - signs) -
when i opened the valve, no sound came as it's supposed to do when bleeding a radiator but some water came out with quite a lot of pressure -as soon as it did, i put the valve back on - et voila! turned the heating back on but nothing happened -
i called a mate who knows a bit about plumbing and he told me to make sure that both the left and right valves were open enough to let the water get back in etc but that didnt work -
:rolleyes:

Your description in message of 2 February 12:35 suggests that you loosened the retaining nut holding the valve to the radiator or to the pipe feeding the radiator.
If this is so, then probably you have put more air into that radiator.

To bleed the radiator, look for a small SQUARE bolt head at the TOP of the radiator. The sides of the square are 5mm - quite different from the nuts on the fittings connecting the radiator to the pipework. You need a special key (radiator bleed key) for this - anything else risks rounding the corners of the square and then nothing will loosen it.

As someone else said, with the key in place, turn it anti-clockwise about half to one turn until you hear air hissing out. When the air is all released, water will start to drip out - have a cloth to hand. If you don't get air or water, then check that the 2 valves at the BOTTOM of the radiator are both open.

Good luck :)

that sounds great and hopefull thx - easy for me to understand and easy enough to do - just what i needed to hear
thank you again
Sandra

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back