Help with coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to put up some coving in a newly decorated room and need a little advice.
I am going to use polystyrene coving with the paper finish on it,and the precut corners you can buy.
Should i put up the corner pieces first or the straight pieces?
Also when i have finished can i use filler on the joins and rub it down to get an invisible join or should i use caulking from a gun?
Any other tips would be greatly received thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What make is the coving ? Is it soft material ? Is it hard material ?

Sponsored Links
goodmow said:
Should i put up the corner pieces first
Yes and I always temporary use nails into the wall at the correct height distance from the top of the ceiling & the bottom of the coving to rest the coving onto as this will stop the coving moving at the wrong angle.

goodmow said:
It is the polystyrene with paper finish that they sell in most diy stores.
Follow "masona" advice.

Though to be honest nobody recomends this type of coving as it is not hardwearing.

Most use the Gyproc Coving as it is hardwearing.

In terms of filling. Then i am afraid the material is nuturally flexible. Therefore on joints, no matter what you use to fill it with, will awlays eventually crack as the nature of the product you are using.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back