Help with joist support problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2nd question from my other post about ceiling joists:-

I have also got an unfortunate added dilemma due to having to replace a 2.7metre joist after knocking out my chimney. BCO are involved but very slow to respond!! I'm just after some tips but wont be doing anything til BCO have taken a look.

Two joists will meet end on end on the internal supporting wall that the joists in my kitchen and sitting room sit on. All the others butt up side by side against each other, at regular intervals, across the full width of the concrete block wall. I will therefore not have enough room for the new joist to be supported by the internal wall and also keep it in line with the others.

Positioning of pipework etc makes the problem more difficult as I can not easily move the new joists position to overcome the problem that way.

Anyone got any possible solutions? Some sort of discreet bracket perhaps? Or can I cut the existing joist back to half way across the supporting wall, therefore allowing both joists to sit in position end on ened, but have equal support from the wall? Perhaps strengthened by some sort of metal plate screwed into the joists near the join???

All suggestions greatfully appreciated, its just so as I can juggle with some potential costs / ideas / purchases and get some sort of concensus on this issue that is vexing me in the meantime. I have no intention of doing any more work on this problem until BCO finally decide to come and take a look.

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I'd just screw a joist-hanger to the end of the existing joist and drop the new one in that. A couple of noggins nailed either side to stop any twisting and that should be it - I think. ;)

If it were me I'd do as you say and sit the join on the wall, but I'd bolt a decent overlap over the wall.

joe

Thanks guys. I like the idea of a joist hanger myself, as its the easiest solution...however, I might be being a bit of a div here but......

I have looked on google and cant find any that are suitable.

I'm guessing some sort of wood to masonry hangers exist - but which ones are the best and where do I find them.

Cheers!!

Sponsored Links
as johnboy says . fit one of your joists all the way across the supporting wall then fix a noggin either side naild to it and the other two joists either side, then get a bog standard jiffy /strap hanger nail this to your noggins (which will be sat on top of your wall and sit the other joist in this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back