Help with moving a microbore radiator ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after some advice, I'm currently planning on doing up my kitchen and this will involve moving a radiator approx 2 feet to the left, though keeping it on the same wall. I have a closed system running from a combi boiler

The problem I have is that the pipes connecting it are microbore and they seem to be concreted into the kitchen floor, with the pipes just coming out vertical to connect to the radiator's

How would be the best way of extending the pipework ? would I have to try and knock out some of the concrete to get under the floor level and then use a compression joint to add 2 foot of pipe running horizontal under the floor ? or is this a bad idea ? and there's a much better way ?

Is this likely to be a difficult thing to achieve, I assume i will need to drain the system down and then do the work I've read here that sometime when you do this you can cause airlocks or blocks in the pipes just by draining and then refilling, also a little worried about breaking the old pipework as it does seem a bit flimsy.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
If you move it the width of the rad then one tail would line back up ;)
You could then run the other pipe along the top of the skirting in trunking or as is and painted.
Air locks are nothing to be worried about with a pressurised system :LOL:
Go for it :!:

You may have to swap the rad valve if doing what i said.

if you have a twin entry rad valve then you will have to replace it as these are not available any more.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

No its not a twin entry rad, so I could do as bob says and move the distance of the rad (which is about right anyway) and put the TRV on the other side of the radiator then I only need to alter 1 pipe. Though I'm not sure how it would look going across the wall .....

Anyway thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back