HELP WITH RECESSED DOWNLIGHTS!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning on installing 9 recessed downlights in my hallway and bathroom upstairs. I have a guy coming over to do the electrics on Sunday but i have to get all the holes ready tomorrow. how is the best way to do this job will i need a certain tool??? SORRY IF I SOUND DUMB just never done this before.
I have easy access to my loft so at least i can get above where the lights are going to go.

ANY TIPS OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT

Sponsored Links
You can buy a holesaw, or if your ceiling is traditional plasterboard you can make a hole using a drill then insert a padsaw blade and cut the hole.

1. For the bathroom work contact your Local Authority Building Control (LABC) at least 48 hours in advance of starting work (Building regs Part P) unless your sparky is registered for self certification.

2. Lift the floorboards above the Hall so that when you make the holes in the ceiling you don't make corresponding holes in pipes, cables or joists above.

3. Plan the location of all lights before cutting any holes to ensure even spacing. Nothing worse than when you come to make a hole for the last light in a run to find there's an obstruction in the way.

4. Ensure there is space for firehoods above the lights in hallway as these are required if there are rooms above. (It is now possible to buy fire resistant fittings)

5. Make sure bathroom lights are suitable for bathroom use.

6. Use the template supplied with the light fittings to ensure the hole is the right size.

7. Use goggles when cutting holes, and if your missus is houseproud send her out somewhere. :LOL:

slyman1 said:
Planning on installing 9 recessed downlights in my hallway and bathroom upstairs.

ANY TIPS OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT

Yes. Don't do it. You will contravene so many building regulations it would make your eyes water. And I bet the guy coming over to 'do' the electrics knows little more about that than you do.

Sponsored Links
stem said:
4. Ensure there is space for firehoods above the lights in hallway as these are required if there are rooms above.

Liar.

Fire rated fittings and fire hoods are only required if the lights are being fitted into a fire rated ceiling. These only exist between dwellings (flats) and between garages and dwellings (garage ceilings).

Quite clearly in this case, they are not required, since he has access to "the loft above", so it must not be a seperate dwelling above, its his loft.

Not according to my LABC just had to fit one in my downstairs loo because the bathroom was above. The inspector reckoned it was necessary where there is a habitable room above.

I assume the hallway doesn't have a loft above (unless it's a bungalow)

If I'm wrong I stand corrected, but it's not polite to call someone a liar!

perhaps i was slightly harsh calling you a liar. ;) apologies for that, it was a bit rude. Must have been a bad day.

1. a bathroom is not a habitable room, if i remember correctly (i seem to remember there being to regs for windows in a bathroom, only ventilation, since it is not a habitable room)

2. fire hoods maintain the fire rating of the ceiling. You wouldn't have fire rated ceilings between floors in a house, except where there is a garage, for obvious reasons. And you wouldn't go fitting downlighters in a garage, now, would you?:cool:

In a flat, however, every ceiling must be treated as fire rated, if there is another dwelling above. Tell your building inspector to come on here.

Certain unusual houses are required to have fire rated ceilings and fire rated doors between floors, but this is rare.

Fire regs on downlights are an assumption in houses. Many of the authorities just assume, although they will not find any regulation to back up the assumption. Only required if the area states a fire barrier ceiling has been used and typically this applies to flats and appartments.

Invest in a hole cutter, check the size first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back