help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help me water is leaking through our ceiling via the water tank the overflow is ****ing water out of it aswell

Sponsored Links
hold up the ball valve to stop the water flowing, tie it up if you have to.

Look along the supply pipe and locate the stopcock/gate valve and turn it off.

Al

hubbie has but we dont know what else to do he is standing up there now and im crapping myself

after isolating the water flow,

try turning on a tap in kitchen or bathroom to lower the water level in the spilling cold water cistern.

Al

Sponsored Links
its the cold water tank he has cleaned around the ballcock and now the hot is filling back up do we try and stop it and call a plumber or do we try and fix it

we have done that and the hot taps dont run anymore but the cold is still a problem

TELL HIM TO TURN OFF THE WATER AT THE SUPPLY

LOOK UNDER KITCHEN SINK FOR A STOPCOCK.

FOLLOW PIPE FROM COLD WATER CISTERN (FROM BALL VALVE) TURN OFF THE VALVE UNTIL WATER STOPS FILLING IT UP.

AL

If the leak is definitely from the cold water tank and not just the overflow (this should be outside anyway) turn off the water to the ballcock/or tie it up as already advised and open hot tap(s) in the house to emty the tank.

we have emptied tanks and the overflow (outside) has stopped but what do we do now I cant turn mains off only by outside as stop cock is too stiff worried ceiling is gonna come through and I dont wanna watch gangs of new york - and dont need the hassle of claiming i just want it to stop

Sorry to hear about your problem, but it is VERY important to turn the water supply off, as everyone has been saying - otherwise your hubbie is in for a long night up in the loft.

If you are not sure how to repair the problem, then I would suggest that you call out a plumber - but do this tomorrow, as it'll cost a few bob doing it now (sorry to any 'on-call' plumbers wanting to make a buck tonight :oops: )

Forgot to say - turn of the ceiling light too in the room where the water is coming through.

where exactly is the leak coming from? Is it a galvanised tank that has corroded or is it a plastic tank. Is the leak coming from a pipe or fitting or the tank itself?

what will happen when it refills back up both at work tomorrow and we are pretty useless as you can read

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back