?

?DIYer?

Hi,

I am wanting to put a double socket in my
shed which is about 5 mtrs from the house,
can anyone please tell me which would be
the easiest way to do this.

Sponsored Links
this question has been asked so many times before try a search on "power to outside, powering outside.

you may want to start here

basically there is a lot more to it than you would think, ( loading, cable size,rcd, rcbo, swa cable, trench for cable, new consumers unit) and you best get an electrician in, but you can dig the trench ( i am not joking)

Well heres what i was thinking,

Tap off of the nearest socket in the kitchen
with 2.5, put it in some tube to the shed and
fit an RCD socket. Would that be o.k/safe.

Sponsored Links
my name is not shurley, i never said it would or would not work.

your question was Would that be o.k/safe to which the answer is no.

there are two ways to do any job, the right way, and the wrong way*, you choose

* wrong way often costs more than the right way does in the end, and is also safer

Shouldn't have more than three sockets on a radial (two gang socket counts as two) unless you have a ring circuit and connect the socket as part of the ring the ring can cover an area of 100m squared and as long as when you test the circuit all sockets comply with the regs regarding earth loop impedance etc then there is no reason why you cant do it
if you make the double socket in the shed an rcd type one then all the better.

poster wanted to know how to do it, not can they, you didnt mention armoured cable, rcd/ rcbo etc, that is why i mentioned see other posts

why do so many of the so called "experts" on this forum get so shirty when someone else tries to help someone?
Is it solely their perogative to answer questions?
why did i have to suggest using SWA? no need if the cables are adequately protected mechanically on the route to the shed.

Shouldn't have more than three sockets on a radial (two gang socket counts as two) unless you have a ring circuit and connect the socket as part of the ring the ring can cover an area of 100m squared and as long as when you test the circuit all sockets comply with the regs regarding earth loop impedance etc then there is no reason why you cant do it
if you make the double socket in the shed an rcd type one then all the better.

That is actually and factually incorrect. A double socket ONLY counts as a single point, and, this discussion has been ahad a few times here, if the spur from the ring is protected by a 13A fused connection unit, there is no limit to the number of points you can add to this circuit. Regarding the socket in the shed, it MUST be either protected by an RCD/RCBO or be an RCD socket..FACT.

why do so many of the so called "experts" on this forum get so shirty when someone else tries to help someone?
Is it solely their perogative to answer questions?
why did i have to suggest using SWA? no need if the cables are adequately protected mechanically on the route to the shed.

I think that a number of us only get shirty, as you put it, when a poster starts off insulting us for correcting the inaccurate or incorrect or unhelpful comments that are posted by certain others.

If you are running cable outside the equipotential zone to supply another installation, which the shed or a garage is LEGALLY classed as, then it must be supplied using the cable appropriate for that task. SWA is designed to run externally, it is UV stabilised and can withstand temperatures as low as -12C. T&E is for INTERNAL use only, is not UV stabilised and should not be used in an environment where the temperature falls below 0C. If the cable is to be buried in a garden, then it should still be SWA to give adequate protection whilst in the ground..inside a duct.

Kendor, if your going to give out advice..make sure you know what your talking about instead of reading it out of "Bob's Bodging Guide to Bad Advice" and insulting everyone in the process.

If you don't like this ..TOUGH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back