Hi-jacked: sound insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry to hijack the thread, but I also have exactly the same problems.

I previously have done this:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396825

Now, up next is the lounge. However, I would like to do something even more potent, to prevent in particular, impact noise, from coming down to into the room.

I am interested in the solution you posted, ie. putting in new joists that do not make contact with the original joists so that no part of the new ceiling will come in contact with the old joists.

Please can you give a more detailed explanation. My budget can go quite high, so providing the costs arent ridiculous, I might have new joists fitted.

Thanks

please note forum rule 20.

I was able to split your post

Sponsored Links
The only practical solution is to suspend new ceiling joists spanning between the walls and not touching the existing ceiling (minimum gap 25mm) with a layer of mineral wool insulation (minimum density 10kg/m3) minimum thickness 100mm and ideally 2 layers of plasterboard underneath. To be honest thats merely a construction that would satisfy new building regs. Theres really not much else you can do as (as you're well aware) sound is very difficult to stop especially impact. If moneys really no object you could just increase the properties of every thing above; bigger gap, more plasterboard etc. or even add yet another seperated ceiling under that if you had the room but where do you stop? You're always going to get sound transmission through the walls no matter what you do. Contact British Gypsum technical helpline on 08705456123 for more advice, their very knowledgable, click on the link for some info http://www.british-gypsum.bpb.co.uk/PDF/wb_gypfloor sil_07_05.pdf

The only gaurenteed method of sound insulation is to move to a detached house. :D or butcher your neighbours but I think theres laws against that sort of thing! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back