High Pitched humming noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if the boiler is making this noise, but reading afew other comments I'm beginning to think it could be. It seems to be coming mainly from near the stopcock, rather than the upsatirs combi boiler. And it goes on for hours, which is driving me mad now. I originally thought it might be the neighbours plumbing system, as we have shared mains pipes and they had new central heating system installed in the summer. This noise has been going on, getting increasingly louder, for the past month. They can't hear it though.
We have got very high pressure mains water and we've now tried turning down the mains water pressure, but that doesn't seem to have stopped it.

Could it be the pump giving up, even though the noise doens't seem be coming from the boiler?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I am not a heating engineer or plumber, the only thing that moves a lot (not counting expansion / contraction of pipes etc) is the pump. Perhaps the pipe is rubbing against something and that is why you can hear the noise from the pump in just one place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back