Hilarious Hash ups Pics - Terrible Tiling And Door Hanging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there everyone,

I was a bit bored so I though I’d take some pictures of our bathroom tiles and bedroom doors to show you how bad they are.

The tiler is supposed to be a professional with years upon years of experience in the field. However, I think the images tell us something else lol:

Unaligned%20Joints%20And%20Awful%20Grouting.JPG

Unaligned Joints And Awful Grouting - Just looks dreadful.

Smudged%20Sealant.JPG

Smudged Sealant - He certainly ‘put his foot in it’ here… erm, oops I meant ‘finger’.

No%20Ply%20Base.JPG

No Ply Base - Reboarding the entire wall with ply would have been essential here.

More%20Unaligned%20Joints.JPG

More Unaligned Joints

Grout%20On%20Door%20Frame2.JPG

Grout On Door Frame2 - No excuse for this!

Disquising%20The%20Edges.JPG

Disguising The Edges - After the tiler had finished the job and left, my Mum had to stick on mosaic strips to conceal the jagged edges.

Visible%20Spacers.JPG

Visible Spacers - Still looks like ‘work in progress’.

Here are the doors that were fitted with pathetic mistakes made along the way:

Chipped%20Paint%20Work%20And%20No%20Recess.JPG

Chipped Paint Work And No Recess - Looks like an axe was used here. No wonder he didn’t bother making the recess for the striker.

Chiselled%20Key%20Hole.JPG

Chiselled Key Hole Without Escutcheon - Obviously the battery must have died in his cordless drill.

Bad%20Chiselling.JPG

Bad Chiselling - Looks like a kitchen knife was used here.

Covered%20Key%20Hole.JPG

Covered Key Hole - The hole on the other side of the door was used as a peepy hole so I had to make a tissue escutcheon lol.

Excessive%20Jambs%20And%20Door%20Closures.JPG

Excessive Jamb - The doors were the wrong size here.

Excessive%20Jamb.JPG

Excessive Jambs And Door Closures - I’ve never seen so many closures and jambs!

Filled%20Gap%20And%20Nail%20Holes.JPG

Filled Gap And Nail Holes - This one cracks me up lol! See the 2 nail holes at the top? He fitted the old handle here (wasn’t even the new handle!) and used nails, not screws! Also, he didn’t even put it in the middle of the middle rail, but way above! So, when my Mum told him to move it more inline with the rail, he moved it to its new position as shown below!

Wrong%20Handle%20Position.JPG

Wrong Handle Position - Oh dear.

Wrong%20Hinge%20Size.JPG

Wrong Hinge Size - Cupboard hinges don’t seem ideal here.

Unecessary%20New%20Hinge%20Position.JPG

Unnecessary New Hinge Position - Why wasn’t the hinge put in the original hinge position?!

No%20Striker%20Plate.JPG

No Striker Plate

2%20Strikers.JPG

2 Strikers - You’ve got one, but I've got 2! However, in this case, I would rather just have 1 like everyone else :(.

Lock%20On%20Outside%20Of%20Door.JPG

Lock On Outside Of Door - Why would we want to lock someone inside the toilet? LOL

Huge%20Gap%20Under%20Door.JPG

Huge Gap Under Door - Good way to save electricity: The light from the other room lights up this room!

Huge%20Gap%20Under%20Door2.JPG

Huge Gap Under Door2 - I guess if someone was locked in, you could slide them a takeaway through.

What do you think? Would you hire these professionals? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Tozzy said:
Hi there everyone,

I was a bit bored so I though I’d take some pictures of our bathroom tiles and bedroom doors to show you how bad they are.

The tiler is supposed to be a professional with years upon years of experience in the field. However, I think the images tell us something else lol:

perhaps you should have selected a tiler with experience in the bathroom. Come to think of it, where would you stick tiles in a field...........

and you actually PAID this pillock

I didn't lol, my mum did :LOL:. The thing is, she said that there wasn't much we could do. Besides, the guy who did the doors, she said that if she hadn't have paid, that he would have taken them off and done them again, but he wouldn't have put them on any better.

perhaps you should have selected a tiler with experience in the bathroom.

He has. He's been doing tiling for 40 years. We couldn't believe it when the job was done.

Come to think of it, where would you stick tiles in a field...........

On the ground? :D

Sponsored Links
I just cracked it

This chap has years of experience in the bath room.

But in his own bath room lying in the bath waiting for some one to call and ask him to tile a bathroom.

I have hundreds of hours experience in passenger jets, but I can't fly one, but waiting to be asked.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

But in his own bath room lying in the bath waiting for some one to call and ask him to tile a bathroom.

I have hundreds of hours experience in passenger jets, but I can't fly one, but waiting to be asked.

Well, in that case, I won't bother asking you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :D.

In response to above post which has now been removed due to forum violations. Therefore, my preceeding post no longer has any relevance:

I'm from UK, not US :( , but I think this is probably the best worse DIY disaster you could ever find in the entire world
roflmao.gif

bernardgreen said:
I just cracked it

Bernard
Sharnbrook

:rolleyes:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tozzy,
Your signature should have applied in this case I think. :LOL: Or did it ?? :LOL:

Tozzy,
Your signature should have applied in this case I think. :LOL: Or did it ?? :LOL:

Well, i'm only 19 and I now do all the work for my Mum. I was only 13 when the guy did those doors and only 16 when the tiler did our bathroom. But, when I was 18, I just said to mum (seeing as I managed to find a strong and keen interest in DIY), "I'm going to do all our DIY for you :D". Whenever, anyone comes to our door asking to give quotes for jobs, I just tell them that I would prefer to it myself.

But, the thing is, I can acknowledge my faults which is what those 2 people can't do. All, I got from the door guy was a mouthful of abuse when we threatened to take him to a small claims court.

I always try and do my best and if I can't do something, I admit it and would leave the job to a more experienced person in the trade (contractor only). However, I usually spend about a week planning before starting work and take into consideration the most necessary jobs eg. preparing the surface prior to tiling :evil:.

I believe that the tiler committed himself to the work knowing that the base was no way ideal just because it was a way for him to get 'easy money' regardless of the other essential work that was involved.

The door guy really did believe that he could do the work and thought he did a good job. Unfortunately, some people just can't see their own faults and that is a real weakness in their abilities. Before, doing any work, people like this must learn to recognise their weak points if it's going to affect the job in hand.

A little tip for you readers: If you want something doing, do it yourself :).

Jeez that tiling is horrendous, and as for the doors -dont get me started. :evil:
I cant believe its still like that years later though?
if you have just took the pics that is :cool:
Good luck in your DIY adventures mate

Tozzy,

I too wish you good luck in your DIY adventures.

Take your time and enjoy it (if you can).

That is just disgraceful - i agree that the tiling does look bad, but the doors look even worse. Ive never seen anything like it :eek:. If I was you, i'd take those doors off and skip them. I couldn't live with doors that looked this bad.

id have a word with trading standards if i was you!

tiling looks like it was possibly done by one of our so called experts on here that fell out with gcol,moz,jasonb and me, and read it all in a book.....what was his name??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I would love to set up a website to recommend good honest reputable trustorthy tradesmen. This could also be used to name and shame morons such as these who just come into your house and do what the hell they want and are too ignorant/thick/pig headed/whatever to acknowledge that they've done a rubbish job, despite the visual evidence.

I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind would make such a mess and then take money in return for it.

I cant believe its still like that years later though?

Yea, :(. Doors were done in 2001/2002 and the tiling was done in 2003. No point in rectifying it now because it won't add any value to the property. Ah well, just gotta grin and bear it every morning I go in there to wash my face ;).

Good luck in your DIY adventures mate
Tozzy,

I too wish you good luck in your DIY adventures.

Take your time and enjoy it (if you can).

Thanks tss.eu and EddieCurrent ;). You too if you're into DIY yourself.

id have a word with trading standards if i was you!

It's a bit late for that :(. It doesn't matter too much now anyway because we know that it can't happen again and if it did happen again, it would be my own work, but at least I would only have myself to blame and no money spent if it went wrong :LOL:.

tiling looks like it was possibly done by one of our so called experts on here that fell out with gcol,moz,jasonb and me, and read it all in a book.....what was his name???

I'm sure the thread still exists somewhere :evil:.

I would love to set up a website to recommend good honest reputable trustorthy tradesmen. This could also be used to name and shame morons such as these who just come into your house and do what the hell they want and are too ignorant/thick/pig headed/whatever to acknowledge that they've done a rubbish job, despite the visual evidence.

That seems like a good idea. I think everyone should carry a portfolio around with them; a bit like a reference that also has previous work they have done for other clients. I'm concentrating on this and aim to include:

The way in which I work
How I solve problems during the work
My faults
How to prevent faults
Etc.

I cannot believe that anyone in their right mind would make such a mess and then take money in return for it.

Well, there are some people that have no shame and other people that make a mess and really believe they have done a great job. I don't think they are in their right mind; out of their mind I think ;).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back