Holding the glass in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I can not find this question on previous posts but sorry if it has already been asked.

I am due to replace some single glazed units for DG over the weekend, the frames are wooden so I intend to rout out the additional depth of the recess.

What is the best way of holding the glazing in? beading and pins or beading and silicone sealant? My fear is that if I do not get the pins in the right place I will break the glass (which my dad has done in the past but could afford to have a couple of attempts!!).

If I was to put silicone on the inside and outside of the recess (i.e. both sides of the glass where it is clamped between the wood) would this be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
easiest system i use for double glazing is a product called flexi-strip, avaliable from glaziers.
It comes in a roll and is a sealing strip which adheres to both the glass and frame. You put it around the inside of the frame rebate (dont overlap it). Then put the glass unit in. After that try to fill as much as possible under the bottom of the glass with silicone. More flexistrip on the beads, pop them on then use brads to secure them. trim off any excess showing with a knife and roberts your mothres brother so to speak!

Hope it helps

Thermo

Thermo said:
easiest system i use for double glazing is a product called flexi-strip, avaliable from glaziers.
Me too and the only thing I will say, make sure the glass is the correct position because you cannot move it once it touch the sticky tape which mean you have to smash the glass out to start again !
See this.

I don't know how you quote another reply but the first reply says:

pop them on then use brads to secure them

what are brads?

Sponsored Links
22888.jpg

Thin flat nails in which you use a staple gun and punch the nail head into the timber. Use for many things such as secret nailing the T&G flooring. In your case a glazier use them against the glass to hold it in using a hammer or gun. They are many type and you need the correct brads nails for the glass which is a lot thinner..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back